Auto Octane tune for gen 3!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I mean, not really. I can flash between tunes in like 20 seconds or so once the tuner is plugged in... I would rather have a dedicated 87 octane tune, than a tune expecting 93 and constantly relying on the knock sensor to make it 'safe' to run 87. This is my point. I run 91 because that is all I have here. I run a 91 tune. The tune expects it and that is what it gets, it doesn't rely on the knock sensor to get there. Sure the knock sensor is there to prevent detonation, but I see it as a safeguard, not something to rely on for my high performance tune.
What tuner out of curiosity? Both my cobb and sct take 5 minutes or so. Thats impressive!

mattr66

Reaction score
Man I don't like relying on the knock sensor to keep detonation at bay, it gives me the bad joojoos. Imagine just going through a tank of 93 then find yourself in baja with only 87 - truck is gonna bang that knock sensor for a while until the computer realizes it has shit gas. Call me crazy, but I'm not a fan of this.
This isn't how it works at all. The knock sensors will dial back the base spark if there is more than 3 degrees of spark being pulled. This will also cause the boost to be dialed back. By the same token, if the the knock sensors are constantly adding timing, it will bump up the base spark and add boost accordingly.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This isn't how it works at all. The knock sensors will dial back the base spark if there is more than 3 degrees of spark being pulled. This will also cause the boost to be dialed back. By the same token, if the the knock sensors are constantly adding timing, it will bump up the base spark and add boost accordingly.
So you say this isn't how it works and then you go on to mansplain about exactly how I said it works...

zachery55

Reaction score
Can this time be ran in conjunction with a piggy back system like jb4 or something? Anyone even have any info on those? Do they work well? Seems to just trick the boost which in theory seems would work. Thinking could be badass to combine them.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any way to get this on a Cobb instead of SCT?
No, at this time we throw it on the SCT just for the simplicity and to help keep cost low for the consumer.
Can you tell us about the dyno graph that you posted? is that to compare octanes?
It compares stage 1 vs 2. Both of which are on 91 Octane (El Paso) but the stage 2 truck has an FMIC on it and a cold air intake.