Are after market Bump Stops still needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keller Steeler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pick up my 19 tomorrow - coming from a 14. I will take it the TexPlex track 6 plus times a year and do at least one TRR event. I am a novice driver and don’t push it too much off-road, but that could change the more I do it. My current plan is to add bumps and Deavers. After watching the videos coming out from Utah at the Ford Center, they seem to be getting as much air as I will be. Do I need them on a 19?

I don’t mind spending the money to protect the investment, but also don’t want to throw away money if not needed. If they offer protection and benefits as I progress, great. I just would kick myself if I didn’t ask the question after seeing the videos. Thoughts?

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an 2018 with Deavers and a SDHQ 2.0" bump kit...If I bought a 2019 tomorrow I might replace the springs as I'm sure they are unchanged, but the very first thing is to drive it off road to evaluate the new system first before making any changes....you may find the new Live Valve system works very well..
That being said my gut says the springs will still needed to be replaced...

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

I would highly recommend a bump stop kit if you plan on off-roading especially at TRR. Live shocks will help with dampning but still won’t be able to compensate what a set of deavers and an RPG bump stop can do.

There is a hard rubber foam stop attached to the bottom of the frame. It is designed to hit the axle pad that it part of the 2” block under the leaf springs. When you hit it, it can be harsh causing the rear end to kick and need to regain control if abrupt.

With a bump stop kit the bump shocks will absorb the compression in a more gradual smoother affect leaving your rear end in better control. Plus with the crossmember, it helps strengthen the frame.

If you decide not to get a bump stop but deavers first, make sure and at least replace what you removed from factory. Otherwise that rubber foam will hit the axle and leads to possible damage to the shocks or leafs overtime. I am just waiting to see someone post about ripping off their shock mounts.

We sell Deavers at a discount to FRF members and can package a bump stop kit with it or we have a $89 option to replace the stock setup.

If you would like a quote, please feel free to PM me.

OP
OP
K

Keller Steeler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend a bump stop kit if you plan on off-roading especially at TRR. Live shocks will help with dampning but still won’t be able to compensate what a set of deavers and an RPG bump stop can do.

There is a hard rubber foam stop attached to the bottom of the frame. It is designed to hit the axle pad that it part of the 2” block under the leaf springs. When you hit it, it can be harsh causing the rear end to kick and need to regain control if abrupt.

With a bump stop kit the bump shocks will absorb the compression in a more gradual smoother affect leaving your rear end in better control. Plus with the crossmember, it helps strengthen the frame.

If you decide not to get a bump stop but deavers first, make sure and at least replace what you removed from factory. Otherwise that rubber foam will hit the axle and leads to possible damage to the shocks or leafs overtime. I am just waiting to see someone post about ripping off their shock mounts.

We sell Deavers at a discount to FRF members and can package a bump stop kit with it or we have a $89 option to replace the stock setup.

If you would like a quote, please feel free to PM me.
Thanks - great explanation on the bumps. I was just looking at them for frame reinforcement, not the added control (rookie learning).

D

Deleted member 12951

Thanks - great explanation on the bumps. I was just looking at them for frame reinforcement, not the added control (rookie learning).

Well in a way it does strengthen the frame beyond just the crossmember. Back in the GEN1 days, people were hitting that rubber stop attached to the frame and causing the frame to bend because there was no where else for the force to go. I personally have seen someone bend their GEN1 frame at TRR.

Of course from 2013 and on, Ford reinforced the frame because of this but you can still over do it. It usually happens not because you are being stupid but running at speed and something quickly comes up or a little loss of control and you end up off the trail.

My first mod was a bump stop before I even upgraded the leaf springs.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford did upgrade the 17 raptor frame. They say it is unique for the raptor only. For the price of new springs and bump stops it will only help to what has been improved. Have not heard of frame issues with the gen 2 yet.