Anyone go to a Platinum 5.0 and regret it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highway76

Reaction score
Why are you considering trading? If it's just to get a V8, then you won't regret it. Doesn't look like the V8 is making a return to the raptor any time soon. You could find a 6.2 raptor with low miles, but it wont have the bells and whistles that your current one does.

Like some others, I've owned a 5.0 F150 and the Raptor. It's obviously up to you, but you probably won't miss much about the raptor other than looking great. I had a 5.0 with locker rear and 4x4, it served well, sounded great also.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Fiat Ram any variety.

I test drove an FX4 5.0 before buying my Raptor. The 5.0 sounded better but the performance was weak. The dealer was going to let me take it for $30k. Let me take it home overnight Saturday to Monday. Tried city and freeway tests. Used half a tank. MPG a little better than EB 3.5 Raptor maybe +2MPG. BUT, its basically a regular F150 4x4 with stickers. The Platinum is better equipped inside but the 5.0 will take some work, new dual exhaust, blower, the works. Suspension too.

By the time you do all that you will have spent more than on a new Raptor 802A with Recaro seats & Tech Pkg.

The only thing you get with Platinum that you dont get with Raptor 802 and Tech Pkg are vibrating seats and lots of chrome. I tested the vibrating seats in a Platinum Expedition. No big deal to me. Didn't hit the right spots. Just another gadget to break down.

My 2 cents.

Aloha, HT

If you want a better performing V8 & all the bells & whistles then get a Denali w/ the 6.2 then throw a livernois DOD delete cam kit, intake, corsa exhaust, & call it a f****ng day. Be like a 500 hp n/a caddy truck

Way way way way way better than a 5.0 Platinum F150

BlkSC

Reaction score
It's funny that I saw this post as I currently have a 2017 F150 Lariat 5.0 and I'm trying to decide if trading it for a Raptor would be worth it to me. The only things I've added are retrofitted HID projectors (the factory halogens suck) and Magnaflow side exhaust that exits in front of the passenger rear wheel. Prior to this truck I had a 2013 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 Eco and not once did I ever think "I really love this truck"...but I have with my current truck. I test drove a 2017 Raptor back when the 2018's were just starting to come out and, while it was an awesome experience, I think I'm just a little concerned that I'll never feel that way about the current Raptor and that alone may keep me from pulling the trigger.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A
It's funny that I saw this post as I currently have a 2017 F150 Lariat 5.0 and I'm trying to decide if trading it for a Raptor would be worth it to me. The only things I've added are retrofitted HID projectors (the factory halogens suck) and Magnaflow side exhaust that exits in front of the passenger rear wheel. Prior to this truck I had a 2013 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 Eco and not once did I ever think "I really love this truck"...but I have with my current truck. I test drove a 2017 Raptor back when the 2018's were just starting to come out and, while it was an awesome experience, I think I'm just a little concerned that I'll never feel that way about the current Raptor and that alone may keep me from pulling the trigger.

And yet you keep thinking about the Raptor year after year and post on Raptor forums. Sounds like something is lacking in what you have now.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, go test drive one with the correct tire pressure and report back. Nothing compares.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you considering trading? If it's just to get a V8, then you won't regret it. Doesn't look like the V8 is making a return to the raptor any time soon. You could find a 6.2 raptor with low miles, but it wont have the bells and whistles that your current one does.

Like some others, I've owned a 5.0 F150 and the Raptor. It's obviously up to you, but you probably won't miss much about the raptor other than looking great. I had a 5.0 with locker rear and 4x4, it served well, sounded great also.

No mention of what makes a Raptor a Raptor....the suspension.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to tow/haul heavy loads, that's one thing. If you are looking for a cool truck that will do general truck duties and be a great DD, there is simply no comparison. The Raptor is way better looking, more powerful, better suspension, cooler, more fun, great for off-roading, etc. etc.

metalwhiz

Reaction score
I would probably never own a Platinum, but my previous truck was a 2014 FX-4 with 5.0. Put a 5 Star tune on it and it was a whole different truck. Ran like a ***** ape and shifted perfectly. Kinda miss that truck, but love my Raptor.