Anyone go to a Platinum 5.0 and regret it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Platinums are too blingy for me. I'd also have to spend an additional $7K-$8K on a Whipple blower to be happy with a 5.0

Killingtommygun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re going for more comfort/luxury & less maintenance don’t want a high strung ttV6 & looking @ a V8 I suggest skipping the 5.0 Platinum & checking out a Ram Limited or Longhorn w/ all the bells & whistles.

Adjustable height air ride suspension

Coil over rear

Can get 3.92s I believe

Slick shifting ZF 8 speed

Better pulling & sounding hemi V8

Great stock stereo

Unreal interior- best outta the trucks

Huge touch screen w/ tons of configurable gauges

I test drove a Ram Limited before getting my raptor. Man it was a close call, they really hit a homerun with the interior and all the bells and whistles.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re going for more comfort/luxury & less maintenance don’t want a high strung ttV6 & looking @ a V8 I suggest skipping the 5.0 Platinum & checking out a Ram Limited or Longhorn w/ all the bells & whistles.

Adjustable height air ride suspension

Coil over rear

Can get 3.92s I believe

Slick shifting ZF 8 speed

Better pulling & sounding hemi V8

Great stock stereo

Unreal interior- best outta the trucks

Huge touch screen w/ tons of configurable gauges
FCA bought back my 14 and 16 ram limited. The drivetrain and tranny are shit. Lost my ass on both. My 14 had 2 full file folders of repairs and my 16 had the t-case, drive shaft and tranny replaced. Both had less than 15k miles. The Zf 8 speed if far from slick shifting. It's a pos clunky downshifting piece of garbage since it was released in 2013. Knock yourself out, get a Ram. In 2 years it will be worth half the msrp.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FCA bought back my 14 and 16 ram limited. The drivetrain and tranny are shit. Lost my ass on both. My 14 had 2 full file folders of repairs and my 16 had the t-case, drive shaft and tranny replaced. Both had less than 15k miles. The Zf 8 speed if far from slick shifting. It's a pos clunky downshifting piece of garbage since it was released in 2013. Knock yourself out, get a Ram. In 2 years it will be worth half the msrp.

LOL, yet the majority of European brands use it with great success and same with Jeep since they switched to the ZF8. just because you had a bad one doesn't mean they're all junk, my Jeep SRT has the ZF8 and it's bulletproof.. and mine is pushing over 400 RWP.

Last edited:

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll might trade in my raptor for a platinum when they offer a coyote and a full raptor suspension as an option. That means never.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a Prius n b happy

My 19 is a dream wouldn’t trade it for any other truck
And I evaluated all
Sorry for the doubters missing all the fun. Nothing like it

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Fiat Ram any variety.

I test drove an FX4 5.0 before buying my Raptor. The 5.0 sounded better but the performance was weak. The dealer was going to let me take it for $30k. Let me take it home overnight Saturday to Monday. Tried city and freeway tests. Used half a tank. MPG a little better than EB 3.5 Raptor maybe +2MPG. BUT, its basically a regular F150 4x4 with stickers. The Platinum is better equipped inside but the 5.0 will take some work, new dual exhaust, blower, the works. Suspension too.

By the time you do all that you will have spent more than on a new Raptor 802A with Recaro seats & Tech Pkg.

The only thing you get with Platinum that you dont get with Raptor 802 and Tech Pkg are vibrating seats and lots of chrome. I tested the vibrating seats in a Platinum Expedition. No big deal to me. Didn't hit the right spots. Just another gadget to break down.

My 2 cents.

Aloha, HT