2018 Expedition Max Platinum to Gen 3 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stay with the large SUV. You'll miss the additional interior space with the Raptor. I plan on moving to a Navigator once it's refreshed.

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well his wife has the SUV still... same as my boat. The wife gets the black label Lincoln Navigator, and I get the used Raptor.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had Expeditions as family vehicles since early 2000s.
Even when the kids were young, I think we could have done just fine with the Raptor instead.
With all the cap, tool box, cargo options for hauling extra stuff; I would think that part would be manageable.
The towing... ??

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you still have another SUV then I think you''ll be fine.
You will miss the interior space the Expedition has, but the bed with a cover will be beneficial in other ways.

IMO think of driving your kids in the Chevy. If it has enough room inside then you'll be fine in the Raptor.

OT, but don't care for the huge screen option in the newer expeditions. Wish Ford just matched the dash from the F-150's to the Expeditions. Have a 2023 Limited, cool SUV other than that screen.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, as you implied, getting rid of the 4Runner would be the best option, but I understand happy wife... I'm in your same situation, except my three kids are all approx. 10-12 years older than yours, and I've had a Raptor (Gen 1, 2 and now 3), and my wife has driven an Expedition (2008, 2018 and now 2021), for the past ~9 years.

Right now, the Raptor will be great for your road trips (as long as you have a bed cover to keep luggage, etc. dry), but as your kids get older, and bigger, the extra room and third row for the kids to stretch out in the Expedition will be important. My kids strongly prefer road trips in the Expedition for this reason -- so much so that I had to trade the 2018 Expy because it was 2wd for a 4wd for Colorado ski trips.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6'8 father of a 3'2 3 year old that is constantly being hauled along with his 4'0 niece and 4'5 nephew.

I have never complained or wanted for more room. IT will not be as roomy as the expedition. I you want a large off-road SUV check out the Expedition Timberline tho.

OP
OP
ChuckPeazy

ChuckPeazy

Reaction score
OP, as you implied, getting rid of the 4Runner would be the best option, but I understand happy wife... I'm in your same situation, except my three kids are all approx. 10-12 years older than yours, and I've had a Raptor (Gen 1, 2 and now 3), and my wife has driven an Expedition (2008, 2018 and now 2021), for the past ~9 years.

Right now, the Raptor will be great for your road trips (as long as you have a bed cover to keep luggage, etc. dry), but as your kids get older, and bigger, the extra room and third row for the kids to stretch out in the Expedition will be important. My kids strongly prefer road trips in the Expedition for this reason -- so much so that I had to trade the 2018 Expy because it was 2wd for a 4wd for Colorado ski trips.
I appreciate everyone's insight. I would love to sell the 4Runner and keep the Expedition and a Raptor. Don't think I can get away with talking the wife into that one. Especially since we have the Ford Premium care on the expedition for another 30K miles.

I suppose when the kids get older and they have friends and after school activities we could always revisit the idea of another Expedition or Navigator. Although the new Sequoia's are pretty sweet albeit they lack cargo room in the back.

Since you still have another SUV then I think you''ll be fine.
You will miss the interior space the Expedition has, but the bed with a cover will be beneficial in other ways.

IMO think of driving your kids in the Chevy. If it has enough room inside then you'll be fine in the Raptor.

OT, but don't care for the huge screen option in the newer expeditions. Wish Ford just matched the dash from the F-150's to the Expeditions. Have a 2023 Limited, cool SUV other than that screen.
I absolutely hate the new screen in the high end trims. I would specifically not get a high end trim because of it. Give me my buttons!