Anyone go to a Platinum 5.0 and regret it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstnumber73

Reaction score
Like the title says, has anyone traded their 2017+ Raptor in for a 2018+ platinum 5.0? I'm thinking of going to the 5.0 and was wondering if anyone has and regretted it.

Thanks!

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just depends on what makes u happy and what ur intentions for the truck are...If ur wanting nice leather, all the pretty aesthetics, an edge in long term reliability, and dont truly NEED the suspension.... go for it.

If it were me, I would have to put a blower on it to make it fun. I'm a gear head and need a smile on my face when I drive...if it doesnt make me giggle inside... I get bored and ultimately trade.

with that said, my realtor has a new limited. We went to look at a farm that had an old logging road around the property. He didnt want to take his truck so we hopped in mine so I could drive around the property.... he was absolutely amazed at the comfort on and off road of the raptor. He was under the impression they rode terrible and were only offroad machines... He is now trying to find a lightly used one to trade for.

Lastly I will add.... also depends on the deal your getting! You should be getting a better trade value for your raptor than a standard f150/half ton pickup. So, could def add incentive if your gaining equity/lowering payment, etc. If that's important to you. But also keep in mind, if u decide u dont like the limited. The depreciation will be > than that of the raptor (in most circumstances). Good luck with whatever decision you make!

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going back to a Platinum but with the 5.0 but went 19 Raptor instead. If I went Platinum 5.0 it would be 4x4 with whipple blower and long tube headers. There was one on YouTube that was running 11.7’s at 123mph and that would be fun.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you’re going for more comfort/luxury & less maintenance don’t want a high strung ttV6 & looking @ a V8 I suggest skipping the 5.0 Platinum & checking out a Ram Limited or Longhorn w/ all the bells & whistles.

Adjustable height air ride suspension

Coil over rear

Can get 3.92s I believe

Slick shifting ZF 8 speed

Better pulling & sounding hemi V8

Great stock stereo

Unreal interior- best outta the trucks

Huge touch screen w/ tons of configurable gauges

konoha

Reaction score
I just got back from test driving a 2016 platinum. Originally I was set on buying an XLT, slowly transitioned to Lariat. Was about to pull the trigger until I was able to compare the lariat to platinum. Much nicer than the lariat however, very unimpressed with the v8 power. With that being said, I now can only imagine the raptor will give me both nice ride with power. Now I am shopping for a raptor.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you’re going for more comfort/luxury & less maintenance don’t want a high strung ttV6 & looking @ a V8 I suggest skipping the 5.0 Platinum & checking out a Ram Limited or Longhorn w/ all the bells & whistles.

Adjustable height air ride suspension

Coil over rear

Can get 3.92s I believe

Slick shifting ZF 8 speed

Better pulling & sounding hemi V8

Great stock stereo

Unreal interior- best outta the trucks

Huge touch screen w/ tons of configurable gauges

Buuuut......the other side of that coin, they have an incredible amount of issues with the new gen. Cool stuff, like cabs that leak an inch of water into your cabin from several different spots in your brand new truck, electronic gremlins that techs can't fix so it's bought back, e-torque issues techs can't fix so it's bought back, H-Vac issues techs can't fix so it's bought back. I agree with you the trucks are nice, especially the interiors, but the issues with brand new ones are crazy. I looked at 2 different Limited's at different dealers, they both had soaking wet rugs and all the glass inside covered in condensation. Check out the current poll below, slightly over 50% DID NOT have issues! That's insane. Maybe the 20's will be better?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From a 5th gen Ram forum

How’s your 2019 Ram running? Take our poll!

Did any of the following systems function improperly, or require repair?
  • BODY (Paint, bumpers, frame, cab leaks, bed, tailgate, Rambox, windows, mirrors, moonroof)
    Votes: 234 16.6%
  • SUSPENSION (Air or normal susp, steering, brakes, wheels/tires)
    Votes: 189 13.4%
  • TRANSMISSION (Differential)
    Votes: 91 6.4%
  • ENGINE (Oil, coolant, fuel, exhaust systems)
    Votes: 47 3.3%
  • LIGHTING (Cabin, dash, bed, exterior lighting, headlights)
    Votes: 52 3.7%
  • ELECTRICAL (Start system, battery, alternator, eTorque BSG)
    Votes: 91 6.4%
  • CLIMATE CONTROL (Air conditioning, heating, seat heat/vent)
    Votes: 132 9.4%
  • INTERIOR FIT AND FINISH (Seats, cabin, floor, dash, noises)
    Votes: 159 11.3%
  • ELECTRONICS (UConnect, displays, nav, sound, safety systems, USB/115v plugs)
    Votes: 327 23.2%
  • NO PROBLEMS/HAPPY CAMPER
    Votes: 714 50.6%

Last edited: