Any trade raptor for new f150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because you don't want to tow near your max... 2/3 of your max is the rule of thumb.

Those are numbers put out by the car makers... Just like HP and Torque. It's ideal settings in a vacuum
NOPE. not on the tow/payload ratings, decent amount of fudge factor built into those #'s for obvious reasons.

That being said, keeping the load @ 2/3 of the max rating & lower will make the whole experience much more relaxed & the truck wont feel like its being worked too hard.....which is whats nice about heavy duty trucks, they have such wide capability range you dont have to worry about 1-2,000 lbs here or there

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM declared tow capacity never made complete sense. Recall a few years ago when Ford and GM leap-frogged each other multiple times, then RAM blew the other two away. Please don’t put too much credibility into declared towing capacity. 2/3 of the rating is the max I would suggest. Yes a Super Duty is a beast, but so is that boat package.

Capt-Brunch

Reaction score
Maybe he’s referring to the $250+ oil changes?

As someone that has owned a Super Duty for the last 2 years and put on 50k miles, I've never paid over $170 per oil change.

Locations/dealerships may vary. Wasn't trying to be argumentative, generally curious as I have enjoyed the purchase.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As someone that has owned a Super Duty for the last 2 years and put on 50k miles, I've never paid over $170 per oil change.

Locations/dealerships may vary. Wasn't trying to be argumentative, generally curious as I have enjoyed the purchase.
More of a diesel problem than a Super Duty problem

DEF
Oil Changes
Filter changes

Over time they add up, then you get into issues with clogged DPF and/or routine regen cycles that require you to drive around aimlessly at freeway speeds to properly complete their cycle, especially if you're not really making the engine work most of the time. If you get a memory lapse and forget to change the fuel filter with every other oil change, you run the risk of getting water in the engine, which could cost you thousands.

Capt-Brunch

Reaction score
More of a diesel problem than a Super Duty problem

DEF
Oil Changes
Filter changes

Over time they add up, then you get into issues with clogged DPF and/or routine regen cycles that require you to drive around aimlessly at freeway speeds to properly complete their cycle, especially if you're not really making the engine work most of the time. If you get a memory lapse and forget to change the fuel filter with every other oil change, you run the risk of getting water in the engine, which could cost you thousands.

I have a deleted Duramax and a completely stock Super Duty. I just don't see the costs as being exorbitant when it comes to the utility. We're talking about $60k vehicles, perhaps one could argue that the better fuel efficiency from the diesel would offset the premium fuel in the Raptor with less MPGs. Six one way, half a dozen the other, but to each their own.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a deleted Duramax and a completely stock Super Duty. I just don't see the costs as being exorbitant when it comes to the utility. We're talking about $60k vehicles, perhaps one could argue that the better fuel efficiency from the diesel would offset the premium fuel in the Raptor with less MPGs. Six one way, half a dozen the other, but to each their own.

It may offset the fuel costs but it won’t offset the fuel costs, def costs, maintenance costs, potential repair costs and the extra 7 grand cost of entry. If you’re towing heavy often they make sense, if not, they don’t. Unless you simply like diesel. Deleting isn’t an option in all states

OP
OP
RCorsa

RCorsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to you post a sale here. I went to classified and no option to post? Maybe I have to pay? I ordered the 2022 hybrid and have a dealer offer for 71 on my raptor 2019 loaded with 13,000 miles

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may offset the fuel costs but it won’t offset the fuel costs, def costs, maintenance costs, potential repair costs and the extra 7 grand cost of entry. If you’re towing heavy often they make sense, if not, they don’t. Unless you simply like diesel. Deleting isn’t an option in all states

I was referring to general maintenance really, but also the aspects of repair and increased labor cost on top of that. For example, oil changes for my 6.7 from my local Ford dealer we’re around $190 I believe, Raptor is $60 on blend, $97 on full synthetic. I’d end up around $120 buying T6 and having a shop do it for $35 labor. Fuel filters were $212 at the time from the dealer. DEF was around $15 every 4 months or so, which isn’t a big deal really.

But if we get into the aspects of repairs either not covered by warranty or out of warranty on top of maintenance, that’s where it gets expensive. On my older diesels, it really wasn’t a concern with the lack of emissions equipment and I thoroughly enjoyed driving them and miss them now. The newer trucks are a different ball game. When the CP4 on a 6.7, LML or most recently the 2019-2020 5th Gen Rams decide to scrap themselves and take out the entire injection system with it and it costs $12-16K out of pocket, even under warranty, that stings. When the EGR or DPF decide to act up and leave you stranded or in limp mode, that’s no fun either. When an injector sticks open and turns a piston into a paperweight, that one also hurts. Not to mention all of the other stupid issues with DEF heaters for the tanks and lacking designs there. Now given, any of these issues can be a one in a hundred-thousand and you could drive these trucks for 250K and never have a single issue, but it really is unfortunate when you are the one in hundred-thousand and you’re the guy paying the bill.

I say that, but I also say that Raptor ownership has it’s own set of costs (Shock rebuilds and suspension maintenance particularly, nothing crazy) just like any specialty vehicle for that matter. That said, If you can be prepared for the potential costs that come with diesel ownership, should those issues arise, then it really doesn’t matter. After all, most guys in $70K trucks can afford those things.

I hope I don’t come off as too negative and like I said, most of the ownership of a new diesel can a great experience and very fun, but unfortunately there’s other aspects to deal with and prepare for at times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter