F250 diesel and F150 Raptor comparison (by owners of both)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah when I say tow a bit I’m talking about 8 hour one way trips with a 26’ box trailer.

I know f350s are really rough, a friend of mine DDs one. Not going 350

I actually have a solution for the soft suspension, but it’s the riding while under constant boost 80% of the drive that I’m worried about.
You understand there is no real difference between a F350 and an F250 right.

Up until 2017 there was all but 0 difference. In 2017 the F350 got a stronger rear axle assembly. But when ordering a F250 as an option you can get that same stronger rear axle. I Believe it comes with the Max towing option.

You can equip a F250 exactly the same as a F350 except for the F350 badges and if you need dual rear wheel then it has to be F350.

Prior to the 1999 model year there were differences. But after they are 99.9% the same until 2017 then you had to option up a couple things on the F250 to get F350 without the badges.

why do both exist you might ask.

5% nostalgia (name plates been around forever)
95% taxes, some state like Shit-fornia tax F350, chevy/ram 3500 as commercial vehicle no matter who owns them! Ford actually said this about 5 years ago.

My wife has an uncle who has a Ram 3500 in Commi-fornia, he has a large 5th wheel trailer. When he registers it his taxes are around $5000 for the year. It is classified as a commercial vehicle by the state, even though it is privately owned. He appealed to the state and they told him " no private person need a vehicle that big, you must be using it for business "

Had he bought a 2500, no problem.

What is funny/weird around here is 99% of the Ford's are F350 while 99% of the Chevy/GMC/Ram are 2500.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the suspension on the F350 stiffer?
On 2017 newer I could be slightly wrong. But the basic answer is no.
You can order a F250 with camper package and snowplow package and actually have stiffer springs than base F350.

To my knowledge you can set an F250 up exactly like a F350. 2017 newer might be a couple small differences.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My favorite tow vehicle was my '95 Plymouth Voyager free company car. I used to move a 5300 pound boat around with it when I was still on a lake. Just a few mile tow each way. It would burn rubber when I pulled it up the ramp. :happy175: It used to really freak people out when they saw what I was doing. Safety first!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
My favorite tow vehicle was my '95 Plymouth Voyager free company car. I used to move a 5300 pound boat around with it when I was still on a lake. Just a few mile tow each way. It would burn rubber when I pulled it up the ramp. :happy175: It used to really freak people out when they saw what I was doing. Safety first!

Are you sure that they were not freaked out due to the tied up goats in the back of the Voyager? It is a van after all...

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you sure that they were not freaked out due to the tied up goats in the back of the Voyager? It is a van after all...
That was pre-goat, when I was still with my ex. It made me laugh every time I did it. The slow front tire spin made the funniest sound. The WTF looks with a big boat on a dual axle trailer behind a Voyager were priceless. I once had a guy come up to me when I was putting it in and he asked me where I lived. I told him the truth, I lived about 75 miles away. He had his mouth hanging open and said he didn't know a Voyager could tow like this. I didn't bother telling him I had a vacation house 1/2 mile from the ramp. I pictured him in at the dealer trying to order the 3/4-ton minivan. :Big Laugh: I miss having a free car to beat every 2 years. You almost can't kill a minivan in 2 years if it's maintained.

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question for those with F-250, what tire pressure do you run?

Had a newer F-250 rental over the weekend and the rears were at 80psi. Without a load in the rear the ride was god awful. Think a Humvee would of had less shit rattling than this truck.