Raptor or f150 differences IF changing out suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2010 gen 1 that’s caged and linked and been a great truck but been too modified to really be a DD. I also have a 2015 f150 with the 2.7 and icon coilover 3” lift. To be honest the raptor R got me thinking of getting a new truck. Joined a few forums and seen the prices and availability. I’m sure you know but they selling for $140k + and the non Rs are at $90k ish. Anyway was thinking maybe just get a new standard f150 then putting on a full long travel kit from one of the big builders Camberg/svc/HM ect. Front and rear link. It’s not cheap, about $60k to do right. I’m not a forum guy so I haven’t kept up. I seen a bunch of Modes on new R like Baja ect since I joined the FB groups. Honestly all that tech seems dumb to me. Fox live valve stuff is great but outside of that im good with a rear locker, power windows and AC. So anyway, what else would I be missing if I built a 23/24 f150 v8 with full long travel instead of giving a new raptor? I can read the diff specs on the motor 395 Vs 700 or whatever, so outside of that, other things I should consider. My logic is if raptors are a 100k+ I think I’d rather do the v8 f150 lariat for $60 then drop 50-60 into the long travel. Like I mentioned I have a 2.7 and it’s a good motor. I could survive fine with the 5.0. Thanks for any feedback

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2010 gen 1 that’s caged and linked and been a great truck but been too modified to really be a DD. I also have a 2015 f150 with the 2.7 and icon coilover 3” lift. To be honest the raptor R got me thinking of getting a new truck. Joined a few forums and seen the prices and availability. I’m sure you know but they selling for $140k + and the non Rs are at $90k ish. Anyway was thinking maybe just get a new standard f150 then putting on a full long travel kit from one of the big builders Camberg/svc/HM ect. Front and rear link. It’s not cheap, about $60k to do right. I’m not a forum guy so I haven’t kept up. I seen a bunch of Modes on new R like Baja ect since I joined the FB groups. Honestly all that tech seems dumb to me. Fox live valve stuff is great but outside of that im good with a rear locker, power windows and AC. So anyway, what else would I be missing if I built a 23/24 f150 v8 with full long travel instead of giving a new raptor? I can read the diff specs on the motor 395 Vs 700 or whatever, so outside of that, other things I should consider. My logic is if raptors are a 100k+ I think I’d rather do the v8 f150 lariat for $60 then drop 50-60 into the long travel. Like I mentioned I have a 2.7 and it’s a good motor. I could survive fine with the 5.0. Thanks for any feedback
How do you want to use the truck? If your 2010 is too modded to be a DD then what is the goal for the new truck? If you are looking for a DD then get a Raptor, if you are looking for extreme off-road capability then obviously dumping $60K in suspension/motor mods to a lariat will yield way more capability.

All depends on what you want out of the truck.

OP
OP
Jetjock15

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you want to use the truck? If your 2010 is too modded to be a DD then what is the goal for the new truck? If you are looking for a DD then get a Raptor, if you are looking for extreme off-road capability then obviously dumping $60K in suspension/motor mods to a lariat will yield way more capability.

All depends on what you want out of the truck.
Oh good points. Lol was thinking the middle. I would sell the built prerunner and my DD, should have mentioned that. Condense down from two to 1, a very capable DD. My 10 raptor been so cut up and ran hard it’s not as reliable as a new truck and it’s 2wd. So a new truck that is reliable , 4x4 and prerunner like suspension is the goal. The raptor r would fit the bill, thus I figured I’d get one. I was thinking they were 80-90k. Then I started looking. Great input from last response. Warrenty. That’s one thing to consider for sure.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh good points. Lol was thinking the middle. I would sell the built prerunner and my DD, should have mentioned that. Condense down from two to 1, a very capable DD. My 10 raptor been so cut up and ran hard it’s not as reliable as a new truck and it’s 2wd. So a new truck that is reliable , 4x4 and prerunner like suspension is the goal. The raptor r would fit the bill, thus I figured I’d get one. I was thinking they were 80-90k. Then I started looking. Great input from last response. Warrenty. That’s one thing to consider for sure.
Third raptor for me. I bought it because for an extremely capable offroad truck it is one of the best DD out there. IMO the comfort and reliability of a factory truck with a warranty and stupid offroad capability cant be beat. It will never be a billy goat rock crawler, but there arent too many places it cant get to. Im in Az and so the terrain is similar to what you are looking at in las vegas. If you really want and need a dedicated rock crawler then you need two vehicles. If you want the best of both worlds then IMO the Raptor is the best fit. No need to get the R. Regular Raptor has a proven power plant with plenty of horse power (not to mention 16 MPG's in the 35's). I really cant see me driving anything else. Chopping up an f150 will always be lesser of everything IMO

OP
OP
Jetjock15

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great points. I’m always scared of “cam phasers” I see on FB although my 2.7 has them i believe and has been problem free for 110k so far. But reason I would be skeptical about 3.5 H.O. But really have no context

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great points. I’m always scared of “cam phasers” I see on FB although my 2.7 has them i believe and has been problem free for 110k so far. But reason I would be skeptical about 3.5 H.O. But really have no context
I'm not well versed enough in the 5.0 vs 3.5 nuances, but the cam phasers have been addressed and are no longer an issue to think about just FYI. Believe any 3.5 produced after 8/19 ( or near there) had updated parts.

Raptured22

Reaction score
Resale, Trade-in-value is also something to consider. I traded in a 2014 Fx4 with a lot of upgrades. The thing was fully loaded and I added wheels, tires, coilovers, Catback, Intake, tune, and spray-in bedliner, and it was nowhere near the Raptor I traded for. I only got 15k for the trade in. When I trade this Raptor down the road, I'll expect to get a much better return on investment.

OP
OP
Jetjock15

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel like I’ve seen issues in the raptor R forums I joined. Maybe it’s fixed for 3.5 but not the New R? People saying engine rattles and such. So much to learn. Also people tout warranty but on FB groups it seems getting warranty work done has become problematic so a real pain is a$$

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Feel like I’ve seen issues in the raptor R forums I joined. Maybe it’s fixed for 3.5 but not the New R? People saying engine rattles and such. So much to learn.
You’re not going to learn much from a bunch of non-technical people speculating about issues that haven’t occurred on systems they don’t have even a basic understanding of. There are no “known” VCT issues with the 5.2 S/C.

Also people tout warranty but on FB groups it seems getting warranty work done has become problematic so a real pain is a$$
FB groups are a disease. They’re cesspools of the same modification questions repeatedly and people complaining about their vehicle because it gets wet when it rains.