Am I Crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP

I don't have a problem with my gear display selection feature.

And I don't have a problem with the ride on my 19. I wouldn't describe it all as choppy or bouncing all over, I would say its a very "planted" driving experience. As per others, tire pressure makes a big difference and not sure if you've been able to lower the pressure and see if that was causing you to bounce around. If not, maybe you need to get it checked out because you shouldn't have a feeling like you are bouncing into the next lane.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
He isn't disputing that, you are missing what he is saying. He is saying regardless of whether you can lock out gears or not, the gear indicator on the dash should not be switchable to either be displayed or not. Basically, the function is fine but the numbers should never disappear. There is no point for them to disappear, unless you are locking it out of one or more of the gears. Not the whole thing either being off or on.

That pretty well sums it up right there.

@Johnkn
you got your internet fight and my acknowledgement that you do, indeed, certainly look cool to whomever it is you’re trying to impress.

smurfslayer, I'm trying to understand your point of view, do you acknowledge this cut and paste directly from an owners manual? just Yes or no please

Answered already. I highlighted it in my multi-threaded response, and the phrase occurs multiple times.

What Ford has documented is that the PRS feature must be manually enabled to be active and display the gears and allow lockout. If it is not enabled, or is active and unintentionally disabled the display goes away as does the ability to lock out gears.

I am struggling to understand how you get from the 5 Ford manuals I quoted via direct copy/paste without editorializing, that this:

"With the transmission in drive (D), press the – button or paddle to active PRS. The available and selected gears are indicated on the instrument cluster.”

Means [your quote]
the PRS feature must be manually enabled to be active and display the gears and allow lockout. If it is not enabled, or is active and unintentionally disabled the display goes away as does the ability to lock out gears.

Let me try to unpack this.

"the PRS feature must be manually enabled to be active"

True.

"and display the gears and allow lockout”

I don’t think the Ford manuals explicitly say this. You must manually activate PRS to allow gear lockout. The manuals say ‘gears are indicated on the instrument cluster’.

"If it[PRS] is not enabled, or is active and unintentionally disabled the display goes away as does the ability to lock out gears.”

So, unpacking the above sentence, you seem to be saying if PRS is disabled - whether intentionally or not, the gear display goes away?

paraphrasing: If PRS is not enabled or was active gets disabled, gear display goes away.

The problem I have with this pair of sentences is that the default behavior of the F150, and apparently other Ford trucks is to display the gears and selected gear on the instrument cluster. This is the “PRS not enabled” condition you describe. Additionally, as you yourself pointed out, PRS has to be manually selected [by depressing the - button or paddle]

I cannot fathom a way to rectify your description with the 5 cited manuals above. I don’t think they’re even “approximately equal”.

Anyway, I was hoping you’d already posted up the last 5 years worth of F150, Super Dutys, Expeditions, etc. manuals, in relevant part so that we could further delve into word parsing and see if perhaps there are other nuggets in different tomes which may potentially contribute to a deeper understanding of the PRS functionality and side effects.

reiterating, gear display disappearing from the instrument cluster upon PRS engagement, IMO is a bug. It has not been illustrated or shown to be a documented feature of PRS, nor have I seen any indication that it is expected behavior.

PRS is a documented feature on multiple Ford trucks.
gear display disappearing - I believe I used the word ’suppressed’ previously, nevertheless gear display on the instrument cluster going dark is not a documented feature. Or, to be more precise, I have not seen documentation indicating that this behavior is expected. I would venture to say that probably 98+% of the customer base probably would agree.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your verbose rambling is tiresome.

All manuals mentioned state that pressing "-" activates PRS mode and displays available and selected gear.

Therefore, it is implied that prior to that action (or when the "+" is pressed at that point) PRS is not active, available and selected gears are not displayed otherwise there would be no need for the display reference

I'm out of this thread......

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Your verbose rambling is tiresome.

All manuals mentioned state that pressing "-" activates PRS mode and displays available and selected gear.

Therefore, it is implied that prior to that action (or when the "+" is pressed at that point) PRS is not active, available and selected gears are not displayed otherwise there would be no need for the display reference

I'm out of this thread......
good

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about the ride, I am fine with it, just saying it's noticeably stiffer than the earlier trucks. This is my 3rd Raptor and it's by far the stiffest, I just wish there was some adjustability since the infrastructure is there with the live valve. I will be moving to the Fox race kit as soon as it's ready for the 2019.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will try pressing the + and - on mine to see if I can make sense of this long-running PRS mode dispute on the gear display. To avoid more chatter on this thread, I will NOT report back on my findings.