Am I Crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
I've had my '19 for a couple weeks now and 2 things are starting to drive me crazy.

1) The display in the instrument panel that shows what gear you are in randomly disappears. It will be on sometimes and sometimes it is not. Is this normal or is there some setting? There have been a number of rough shifts that jerk the truck as well.

2) The roads where I live in IL are crap but everytime I hit a decent size bump on the road over 30 mph, the truck feels like it is bouncing all over the place ... feels like the truck is out of control. The same thing happens on rough ice/snow covered roads (I drive some back roads).

Is anyone else with a '19 experiencing either of these issues or does anyone have any suggestions?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
1a) You’re thumbing the +/- button on the gear shift lever or hitting a paddle. Some on FRF think this is a “feature”.

I consider this a bug. hit the + button or + paddle and the display comes back.

2a) what’s your tire pressure? fancy fox shocks or peasant fox shocks? A lot of have been indicating the fancy fox shocks ride more harshly than the peasant fox shocks the rest of us have. Keep in mind you have a truck focused on high speed off road, low speed just makes the suspension feel out of place.

ex: speed bumps or “traffic calming” humps. hit them at 15, they’re a PITA. hit them at 45mph and they smooth right out.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While some people here continue to believe that the disappearance of the transmission gear range on the dash is a "bug", it is indeed an intended feature called PRS (progressive range selection).

To enable PRS, one presses the "-" button on the gearshift. Once in PRS the available gears and the current gear are displayed on the dash. Hit "-" again and it locks out 10th, again it locks out 9th and so on. Press "+" until all 10 gears are shown and available. Press "+" one more time and it turns off PRS and the transmission gear ranges are no longer shown on the dash display.

When the truck is in PRS mode it remains in that mode through multiple start cycles so there's no reason to have to enable it each time.

The feature has been present in many Ford Trucks and Expeditions for years and is clearly explained in owner's manuals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
While some people here continue to believe that the disappearance of the transmission gear range on the dash is a "bug", it is indeed an intended feature called PRS (progressive range selection).

To enable PRS, one presses the "-" button on the gearshift. Once in PRS the available gears and the current gear are displayed on the dash. Hit "-" again and it locks out 10th, again it locks out 9th and so on. Press "+" until all 10 gears are shown and available. Press "+" one more time and it turns off PRS and the transmission gear ranges are no longer shown on the dash display.

When the truck is in PRS mode it remains in that mode through multiple start cycles so there's no reason to have to enable it each time.

The feature has been present in many Ford Trucks and Expeditions for years and is clearly explained in owner's manuals.

Thanks! I might be inadvertantly hitting it when shifting, I'll check tomorrow!

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
1a)

2a) what’s your tire pressure? fancy fox shocks or peasant fox shocks? A lot of have been indicating the fancy fox shocks ride more harshly than the peasant fox shocks the rest of us have. Keep in mind you have a truck focused on high speed off road, low speed just makes the suspension feel out of place.

ex: speed bumps or “traffic calming” humps. hit them at 15, they’re a PITA. hit them at 45mph and they smooth right out.

The faster I go, the worse it seems to get. The truck doesnt feel planted at all, so I back off the throttle. Its awesome driving down these snow and ice covered back roads and slowing down because you feel like the truck is starting to lose control and some little honda comes flying down the road going the other way. Just this morning I started getting sideways on the way to work and almost went in the ditch. I never had this feeling when I had my 13 and I drove the hell out of that truck in all weather. I actually got a ticket for passing a sheriff deputy on these roads during a snow storm the 2nd week I had that truck ... it was for not using my signal. From what I've read on here, would replacing the leaf springs help with keep the rear planted?

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The faster I go, the worse it seems to get. The truck doesnt feel planted at all, so I back off the throttle. Its awesome driving down these snow and ice covered back roads and slowing down because you feel like the truck is starting to lose control and some little honda comes flying down the road going the other way. Just this morning I started getting sideways on the way to work and almost went in the ditch. I never had this feeling when I had my 13 and I drove the hell out of that truck in all weather. I actually got a ticket for passing a sheriff deputy on these roads during a snow storm the 2nd week I had that truck ... it was for not using my signal. From what I've read on here, would replacing the leaf springs help with keep the rear planted?

Compared to your 13 the rear is more lightly sprung and a new set of leafs make a huge difference.

Sounds like your not used to the truck yet and have to find what settings work for you in the snow. Backing off on throttle with all the nannies turned on is a much different experience from your previous Raptor. Any weight in the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
Compared to your 13 the rear is more lightly sprung and a new set of leafs make a huge difference.

Sounds like your not used to the truck yet and have to find what settings work for you in the snow. Backing off on throttle with all the nannies turned on is a much different experience from your previous Raptor. Any weight in the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if I just want used to the truck yet. I dont carry anything in the bed other than the occasional load from the big box stores.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... considering we have not heard of any similar complaints about feeling out of control, I would have the dealer look it over. Something could be loose or missing in the suspension.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
As said. Check your tire pressure, if you haven't already. These things are coming from the dealer with too much air in the tires. A little goes a long way. I am at 36f/32r, way nicer than 42 or whatever it came with.

Also, I look up sometime and my gear lights are gone, simple tap on the upshift paddle, all good. I guess I am accidentally mashing the button on the shifter or hitting a paddle.