Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

7.3 Godzilla 790hp NA

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by 10SpdsOfFury, Sep 12, 2020.

1. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

Yes, I read my own posts smart guy. I compose and type them as well.

What counts to be a mechanic to you then?

Brakes? Clutches? No?

Plugs and wires/coils? No?

Suspension work? Full front and rear suspension rebuilds? No still?

How about transmission, t/case and diff flushes? Still no?

How about blower installs? Too easy? No?

How about custom line lock installs including all of the brake lines and wiring? No?

How about HCI swaps on smallblock V8s? No?

Turbo swaps? No?

How about a full engine build including measuring every single part, purchasing all the parts, managing the machining of the block, assembly, startup, and tune of a blown fuel injected V8 and it's fuel system that produces over 800 HP that has lasted over a decade now with tons of abuse thrown at it? Does that count for you yet?

2. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

Didn’t mean to get you all fired up guy. Sounds like you are more of an auto enthusiast/hobbyist than a “mechanic”, which is by no means an insult. I know some there are people such as yourself that take the time to do their own work on their vehicles and do it by the book and with the proper tools; I’m not trying to discredit that. Building an engine from scratch these days isn’t too common, most machine shops won’t even do it for liability reasons.

The context of my post was more in reference to the topic at hand regarding differences in modern engine designs, and having been trained on Ford engines and servicing them, I am very familiar with their designs, components, and systems.

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  3. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

I am very familiar with Ford's designs, components, and systems as well.

No, I'm not trained by Ford- but I train myself.

I know exactly how DI works. I know what pressures it runs at, and how the HPFPs physically operate.
    I know how Ford has evolved it's VVT actuation strategies over the years, and who they've got their tech from.
    I know that AC compressors no longer cycle because they have variable displacement now.
    I know how the HS and MS CAN buses work. I know what PIDs are and how to monitor and datalog them.
    I have replaced multiple programmable modules in Fords with no visits to "trained techs".
    I know what direct acting mechanical buckets are.
    I know that Ford's engine calibrations now revolve around requested axle torque as opposed to a load calculation as in the past.
    I can de-pin and re-pin and Ford electrical connectors blindfolded.
    I know how ABS pumps work internally and how to troubleshoot them.
    I have opened, repaired, vacced down and recharged AC systems- more than once.

What systems have I not touched here that you have... Airbags? No, I've never fucked with that. No need to, ever. Diesel? Nope. You will never see me posting about either one of those things either.

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  4. NASSTY

NASSTY FRF Addict

npdsb0q_3a1347470fe33eec067532bae3e4a4ef173dc90b.gif

5. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

It's the internet boys! Use emoji's so people don't get so butt hurt, actually, forget that, the entertainment is awesome.

6. 10SpdsOfFury

10SpdsOfFury FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

A 900hp whipple Tremor would be fun to mess with people.

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  7. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

That's all well and good that you're a self-learner, but you can't educate yourself on designs, components, systems, and engine repair without factory training, or at minimum, hands-on experience with the engines themselves following WSM procedures. As a master certified technician who has been through all Ford OEM training, the quality and level of information provided is unparalleled. Not only does the hands-on training include everything from sealing and timing procedures to tearing engines down to the short block, but the informational aspect is extremely in-depth as well. Engineering is directly involved throughout the entire training development process, and sign off includes PD and Upstream.

Donmatteo likes this.
  8. Trick.Raptor

Trick.Raptor The Cracker Raptor

All these experts and nobody has answered your question!

Jakenbake likes this.
  9. NASSTY

NASSTY FRF Addict

Maybe he should ask the self trained master mechanic and engine builder EricM.

FordTechOne likes this.
  10. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

The 6.2 and 7.3 share the same bellhousing bolt pattern, so the 6R80 will bolt up.

The 6.2 is listed at 593lbs with flexplate but without the accessory drive. 7.3 is listed at 580lbs in the same configuration (Flexplate, no accessory drive). So the 7.3 is actually lighter than the 6.2. The packaged shipping weight listed in the FP website for the 7.3 is 737lbs; however I suspect a good chunk of that is shipping materials.