6.2 sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdoorsmen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else experienced under light acceleration that the motor seems to fall on its face as it shifts from 1-2 and 3-4? Mine does, any reason why? It only has 1100 miles and no mods yet. I want a Cai and exhaust but want to figure this out first.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else experienced under light acceleration that the motor seems to fall on its face as it shifts from 1-2 and 3-4? Mine does, any reason why? It only has 1100 miles and no mods yet. I want a Cai and exhaust but want to figure this out first.

Mine used to on the 1-2 when it was cold. Got 11,700 miles now and haven't noticed it anymore. Did you try the T/H button on the left side of the shifter?

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The powerband for this truck is very high in the RPM range... when it shifts, the truck is no longer in the peak power range, so you will feel a drop in acceleration "rush" until it gets back into the happy zone...

The tuners seem to help this to some degree, as the firm shifts give you more of a "bump" between gears due to the engine momentum at a higher RPM than the next gear... similar to dropping the clutch in a manual transmission, with flywheel momentum... it's a small jump, but it's noticeable.

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the stock programming only allows the throttle body to open so far until a certain RPM is reached. So often after a shift it will close off the throttle body slightly until higher RPM is reached again and it is opened to 100%. Pretty sure I read that from a 5 Star post at one point.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Mine is sluggish too with 800 miles on it. The transmission hasn't learned my pedal behaviour yet but it will, then shifting will be better. Yes, the tranny has a brain for that.
I use T/H always - although going down really steep hills I switch back sometimes just to not let the tranny drop gears trying to slow the truck down.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Has anyone dyno'd this truck to see the power curve? The torque in my 5.4 comes in very early and stays strong until redline. Helps a lot getting this truck off the line in a hurry

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
tune def wakes this truck up. i did exhaust, CAI, and tune almost immediately after getting the truck and i have no complaints. for a heavy truck it gets up and goes