4A differences between '18 and '19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane Durkopp

Reaction score
When my '19 is is 4A it will often put power only to rear wheels when I'm at higher speeds. I haven't been using the rain/snow mode though. Not sure if that would make any difference or not.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my '19 is is 4A it will often put power only to rear wheels when I'm at higher speeds. I haven't been using the rain/snow mode though. Not sure if that would make any difference or not.
Snow mode is a trip. Oddly it actually works very well.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Snow mode is a trip. Oddly it actually works very well.

I prefer 4A normal mode but when my wife drives the Raptor in snow I just have her put it in weather/snow mode b/c it’s simpler & she’s more confident it won’t get out from under her (truck is tuned).

Personally dislike it tho unless I’m going down some real treacherous narrow/unplowed/winding mountain type road- I’m also running Nokian snows so kinda different story.

Additionally, I have 801a no torsen diff & mine behaves like awd in 4A normal mode it routinely swaps from zero power to front wheels to partial to 50/50 & back to zero again. I don’t feel much drag/binding but do get a lil torque steer on dry pavement when turning & applying gas- I typically try to prevent any heavy throttle in 4A on dry pavement unless I’m pointed mostly straight.

Thoroughly enjoy hustling this thing in rain conditions in 4A normal mode though. Feels like a giant rally car lol

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this in the weather mode, or just 4A?....The drag you're feeling is in 4A the front hubs are now locked even if there is no power applied to the front diff....the 802 package has the front Torsen diff.... hence the drag or heavy steering feel...
Both. I remember on my 18 if I changed to weather or turned the knob to 4A, it would engage and disengage the fronts. I use to watch the power distro screen and see the power swap. Now, changing to weather and 4A, it's always applying power.

Im thinking it has to do with the trail control system now. my 18 didn't have it.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 802A SCREW (early 2017 build w/ Torsen Front Diff) and when in 4A it is applying power only to the front wheels as confirmed by Raptor power distribution screen. The truck acts like a FWD until the front wheels lose traction then the rear kicks in. This is using 4A on the 4x4 Selector Knob. There is heavy torque steer in 4A just like a FWD car. I like it though, I get .5 mpg better on the Avg Mpg screen too.

When in Weather Mode it is in true AWD not sure if it still has front wheel priority in Weather Mode. There is about 10% more drag in Weather Mode. It feels detuned, very sluggish. I would only use that on Ice / Black Ice. Good mode for wife though in rain or snow.

Seems the Raptors have had Terrain and 4x4 Modes reconfigured a few times from 2017's to 2020's by Ford. My tune is stock. I think Ford has changed the Tunes a few times too.

No body changes but lots of changes electronically and in drivetrain though. 2019 is almost a different vehicle from 2017 with the variable rate shocks, etc.

Aloha, HT

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck is biased to rear wheal drive. Clutch engages and disengages for front axle drive.
So truck is always rear wheal drive. When conditions dictate clutch engages front axle. As well there is a lock to bypass clutch for offroad heavy hauliung

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I

Additionally, I have 801a no torsen diff & mine behaves like awd in 4A normal mode it routinely swaps from zero power to front wheels to partial to 50/50 & back to zero again. l

This...I have an 18 with Torsen front end. I get no feeling of drag, and when the power is applied to the front (via power distro screen) it is very subtle and does not induce torque steer. if i am light on the throttle, causing no traction issues, the front never light up with power.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is about 10% more drag in Weather Mode. It feels detuned, very sluggish. I would only use that on Ice / Black Ice. Good mode for wife though in rain or snow.

This is by design. they play with the throttle mapping. more gradual application of power to keep wheels from breaking free. no extra drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter