4A differences between '18 and '19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my '19 there is a noticeable difference between 4A in normal and slipper mode. In normal it typically sends power to the rears and if it sends it to the front it is more rear biased.

in slippery mode the throttle response is heavily muted and it seems to always send at least some power to the front wheels.

I really like this and find it incredibly useful.

on dry roads I run 2H and normal or sport mode
in rain I mostly run 4H, normal mode
in snow/ice or heavy rain I run slippery mode with 4A and it is incredible how little the wheels slip given the combination of decreased throttle response, increased front traction and decreased steering sensitivity (this and the suspension change too).

compared to prior jeep wranglers this is really impressive on road, also compared to my prior 2015 F150 platinum without the modes this is night and day better on slipper roads (tires are excellent too)

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found out the cause of this. Someone actually posted it and I was able to verify and recreate it.

4A is always active when the trans temp is below a certain temp. Once it's up to temp, it will vary power distro.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found out the cause of this. Someone actually posted it and I was able to verify and recreate it.

4A is always active when the trans temp is below a certain temp. Once it's up to temp, it will vary power distro.

No, it means the front hubs stay locked in for that time period so that IF you’re starting off from cold soak in ice/snow the hubs won’t be frozen in unlocked position. The trans is still in 2wd unless you shut down in 4wd mode or you start and select another mode.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, it means the front hubs stay locked in for that time period so that IF you’re starting off from cold soak in ice/snow the hubs won’t be frozen in unlocked position. The trans is still in 2wd unless you shut down in 4wd mode or you start and select another mode.
I think we are saying somewhat the same thing but you are saying it better.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went ahead and tested 4A (not Slippery mode) on my ‘19 today. It apparently stays in all wheel drive below highway speeds. The rear wheels are biased getting more power than the fronts. At highway speeds the fronts disconnect and only the rears stay powered. Now if a rear tire broke loose I’m sure the front would kick back in.

I also noticed nearly no difference in 4A as far as throttle response or steering feel. I’m sure when your powering all 4 wheels your using extra power. But the truck felt just as good to drive as in 2H.

Now slippery mode the whole truck changes and throttle is bogged down, steering is heavy. But that’s part of the trucks system to keep you in control obviously.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a follow up with a full and longer drive in Slippery mode.

In this mode the truck is basically running in full time all wheel drive. More power is generally being pushed to the rear tires as well. But from low speed in town driving to up to highway speeds, the truck stays in all wheel drive mode and applies power to all 4.

The truck is detained and you get that oversteer feel. But it’s all by design to keep you on the road and maintain traction.

Overall it feels and drives pretty good.

So as far as traction and overall performance goes in the drive modes 2H, 4A and then Slippery mode will deliver the best overall dry performance mode when driving on pavement or mild dirt roads. Each level up adds something for sure and depending what you need. All the way to Slippery mode which is 4 wheel drive through clutches vs locked hubs and differential.

Awesome system in these trucks.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from an 18 to a 2020. This sand/snow mode is pretty fun. I’d assume it’s the same mode at as the sand or whatever in the 18? It was a lot of fun on the unplowed roads.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 is biased to Front Wheels in 4A guaranteed. I have tested it spinning front wheels at a wet stop and then rears lock in. Hear it clunk then the the front wheels stop spinning. This is with 802A & Tech Package, Torsen Front Diff. This may be an early 2017 one off config. I have seen another guy write about excessive torque steer in 4A on his 2017. I have that too but don't mind it for the better MPG.

I wonder if theres documentation somewhere listing all the config changes in the Raptors from 2017 launch to 2020. Would be interesting...

I have the same truck as you. Mine is a 01/19/2017 build, 802A SCcrew, tech, torsen etc.

Per the power distr. screen, mine is never front biased in 4A normal or 4A weather. It shows a rear bias with a progressive addition of front when accelerating. This is the same as all years of the gen2 trucks, I believe.

I can feel torque steer due to the torsen only while turning during acceleration. Heading straight, it continues to track straight while accelerating in 4A and 4H.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think we have covered this in another thread but our trucks can never be "front biased". I consider front biased to mean more than 50% of the power to front wheels and in our trucks that is impossible. The MOST it can be is 50/50.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we have covered this in another thread but our trucks can never be "front biased". I consider front biased to mean more than 50% of the power to front wheels and in our trucks that is impossible. The MOST it can be is 50/50.

yup, just wanted to clarify it isn’t different on the early builds as was being asserted.