4A differences between '18 and '19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Hey Smurfslayer,

My truck is ONLY front drive biased in 4A. In 2H it is straight 100% RWD. It handles completely different in 2H vs 4A. Very evident heavy torque steer in 4A have to grip the steering wheel tightly when accelerating especially around a turn just like a FWD vehicle. In 2H no torque steer at all. And .5 mpg better in 4A consistently. Explain how front tires only spin from wet stop in 4A?

Maybe Ford revised it due to high complexity?

Your truck is NOT “front biased” at all. When in 4A and you poke it to the floor, the power is applied to all 4 wheels, not just when the rears are slipping. The weight transfers rearward and the fronts spin a little. The clunk is the TCM loosening up the clutch for the front, NOT bringing in the rear. It’s not magic fwd, just vehicle dynamics based on physics.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good grief. Do not argue daydreams with facts. A short google search talks about a clutch engaged front end with a locked over ride. Tks Twizzle

Shane Durkopp

Reaction score
No... they didn’t. as previously stated, documented and linked, the truck is always in at least rear drive. I don’t think it is capable of sending 100% to the front, but I’ll reserve judgement. If you had a front bias truck you wouldn’t have forward motion in 2H. You might be seeing front engagement more, or there could be a display issue.

Try. HARDER. You can definitely get the fronts to engage at higher speeds.

I’ve noticed this too, bumping on along about 65-75, nail the gas, and nothing on the fronts. hmm... I try the same shenanigans at 25-35 and it’s noticeably trying to get traction. About a year back I was coming home in a rain that would make 7 or 8 on the Irish rain scale. Absolute downpour. We were having none of it, making steady time until the Maroons collaborated to form a wall of slow moving drivers who were in a pant $hitting hysteria. I spied a gap, pointed Lucille in the proper direction and -nailed- the throttle from about 40-45 mph. Oh heck yeah the fronts got traction and lots of it, but the wheel was fighting me like I hit ruts in the mud.

Of course, if you’re losing traction at 65-75mph, there could be a bigger problem ;-)

Oh, the fronts were definitely engaging when needed, just if I was cruising for a bit at a constant speed I could see on the distribution screen that it would settle back down to rear wheel only, which I liked. I had a blast ripping around in the 8" of snow we got here. Only stopped driving around for about 6 hours to pull some people out of ditches. It's my favorite driving. Truck handles the snow day and night compared to my last '14 fx4

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, the fronts were definitely engaging when needed, just if I was cruising for a bit at a constant speed I could see on the distribution screen that it would settle back down to rear wheel only, which I liked. I had a blast ripping around in the 8" of snow we got here. Only stopped driving around for about 6 hours to pull some people out of ditches. It's my favorite driving. Truck handles the snow day and night compared to my last '14 fx4

I have a tricked out rubicon hard rock and the raptor blows it away in the snow. I was surprised. I leave the Jeep chained up on all 4 during the winter for the crazy days. It’s cheaper to bash Snow berms with the Jeep lol.

Shane Durkopp

Reaction score
I have a tricked out rubicon hard rock and the raptor blows it away in the snow. I was surprised. I leave the Jeep chained up on all 4 during the winter for the crazy days. It’s cheaper to bash Snow berms with the Jeep lol.
For sure haha. The raptor handles very similar to my tuned etc audi S4 in the snow...it's very impressive. I usually prefer the s4 hands down over a different vehicle of any type, but now it's a toss up between the raptor and the S4.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good grief. Do not argue daydreams with facts. A short google search talks about a clutch engaged front end with a locked over ride. Tks Twizzle

Good grief indeed! I'll post a video spinning ONLY the Front Wheels in 4A from a dead stop on a wet road. It takes a second for transfer case to engage the rear wheels with a big thunk then the fronts stop spinning.

Im not dreaming. Yes I understand the physics of torque steering and RWD does not cause it. Sounds like Twizzle is talking about Quantum Physics. Theory predicts one behavior but as soon as observed the behavior becomes different in Reality. Thats must be why I observe the front wheels spinning on my Raptor when in 4A. Quantum Physics based front wheel bias.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll post a video spinning ONLY the Front Wheels in 4A from a dead stop on a wet road. It takes a second for transfer case to engage the rear wheels with a big thunk then the fronts stop spinning.
Not trying to get into a argument, but if you know how just about every truck transfer case works, you then go "wait...that can't be right?"
The output shaft of a transfer case is mechanically connected to the input shaft from the trans..and in 4H they turn exactly the same speed, and the rear driveshaft is connected to the transfer case output shaft.

That means for just a second or two, lets forget about the front driveshaft and concentrate on the rear only...from the trans output shaft to the rear driveshaft its all locked together..PERIOD...OK now the front driveshaft is driven of course by the frt output shaft of the transfer case.
The front output shaft is driven thru the clutch system controlled by the TCCM (Tranfer Case Control Module) That clutch can slip a little or a lot or even none at all, BUT it's driven by the rear driveshaft...Sooo there is absolutely no way the front drive shaft can spin ANY faster then the rear..

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is on my almost new 2019 SCREW with 802a, I definitely feel some torque steer in 4A mode. Its not as much as it would be in in 4H but its noticeable.