2023 Torsen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odds are it’s just traction control. Nothing new but maybe just tuned different in software. And probably no where near as good as Toyotas ATrac system or we would hear some gloating by now.

No matter what they can do it’s no mechanical lock like a Torsen.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get buying a truck which you thought had the torsen and then finding out at a later date it didnt actually have it sucks, but has anyone actually noticed a drop in performance or gotten stuck because they do not have a torsen front? Dropping the torsen front likely only effects a minimal percentage of owners on here who actually use their truck as designed... I've also got a gen 2 with it so easy for me to say that when I'm not personally involved

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where I got my initial impressions as well. It would make since following the principles of "economy of scale" however, it isn't unheard of to be screwed by an accounting ledger.
Considering the adverse on road experience of the torsen (torque steer in 4A/4H) customer feedback might actually have balanced the scales to the math showing removal as an overall value add for the customer. Key assumption, the updated brake lock programming can give functionally “the same” off road performance as the torsen.

the trade off equation being (again assuming same real life performance)
-torsen: mechanical consistency off road and poor on road experience
For
-brake lock: Significant improvement in dry road 4A experience but increased brake wear off road

Reaper27

Reaction score
I’m happy my 2023 doesn’t have one. My 2020 went through 3. And never really used the truck for off road work. 2 times on a highway was enough for me to hate it.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the adverse on road experience of the torsen (torque steer in 4A/4H) customer feedback might actually have balanced the scales to the math showing removal as an overall value add for the customer. Key assumption, the updated brake lock programming can give functionally “the same” off road performance as the torsen.

For
-brake lock: Significant improvement in dry road 4A experience but increased brake wear off road

I’m happy my 2023 doesn’t have one. My 2020 went through 3. And never really used the truck for off road work. 2 times on a highway was enough for me to hate it.

You guys are the people I was referencing in my quote above. There are 2 sides to this argument regarding the Torsen front diff

Chazzersgarage

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For
I agree. Doing the brakes is probably more cost effective than a blown differential. However, either way the end consumer is writing the check.

22R37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to pull the part numbers for a known Torsen raptor and compare to a 23?
Here’s a picture of my 22 37pp

Attachments

• C1E9DAC9-4301-411F-999C-96E03249A7B7.jpeg
    C1E9DAC9-4301-411F-999C-96E03249A7B7.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 816B6FD4-B6FD-4DD1-A017-B6B3A726AFF6.jpeg
    816B6FD4-B6FD-4DD1-A017-B6B3A726AFF6.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 57

jpk

Reaction score
I went through the umpteen stages of grief reading this thread. I had a deposit on a 2023 Raptor and the truck finally arrived and is on its way to me from the dealer right now as we speak. I had agonized over a F-150 or F-250 Tremor vs a Raptor and ultimately went with the Raptor because I thought it had the Torsen in front like the Tremors and even more features. A Torsen front diff was was a must-have option for me on either the Tremor or Raptor. My previous F-150 never left me stuck in all manner of ice and snow even though it didn't have a front limited slip, but I wanted the best traction options possible for my new truck.

After going through this thread and then checking a few places, I think it has indeed been deleted from the Raptor with Ecoboost when they dropped it for the Raptor R in 2023. However, after getting to the end of this thread and then searching around, I think this was intentional after finally coming to grips with it.

It's mentioned in the video here that they no longer believe it is needed for the Gen3 Raptor:

Again here:

And here:

"Given the well-watered state of the dunes, indulging our juvenile urge to throw sand required running in rear-drive mode. Which is how we discovered that, in addition to the electronic locker, there's a brake-based limited-slip function for the open rear differential. The brake-based system works when one side or the other experiences a flare in wheel speed, and the brake on that side gives a squeeze to send power back to the other side. This system is operating in the background even when the AdvanceTrac stability-control system is completely disabled. So if, say, you want to roost some dunes in two-wheel drive, where the rear locker can't be engaged, the rear brakes will be getting a workout."

After I calmed down, I realize the truck is probably going to drive just fine in snow and sand. The Land Rover line is renown for having incredible traction in all conditions and you pay a premium for a Rover just to get their electronic traction controls instead of driving a Jeep with locking front diffs. I never missed having a locking or limited slip front diff in a Rover because I knew it had the fancy computer that was designed for an open front diff. Seems that Ford is now saying they have a similar system on the Raptor.