Gen 3 Torsen vs eaton e-diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor150

Reaction score
I just traded my 2018 screw for a 2023 avalanche grey one. Crazy that it had a December 2023 build date and is still a 2023 model.

I have read the threads about the 2023s not having the Torsen diff. I do intend on doing a good amount of off-roading and going to baja in it.

Have any of you added a Torsen diff to a 2023 or the eaton e-locker?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240103_155118.jpg
    20240103_155118.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 20

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I honestly just want to read an example where a member here really needed either of them...
That is one of those things that you will never know.

If you get stuck without one, it isn't like you can install it on the trail and then drive out and say the diff got you out.

If you have one and never get stuck then you would never know if that is the reason.

And if you have one and get stuck you would never know if because you had it you got more stuck with it (it allowed you to go farther than without)

Having driven a truck (non-raptor) a ton before then installing torsen diff front and rear and can say without a doubt they work, amazingly well.

Does the non-torsen with Ford's "software " work as well. I doubt it, but would love to see some kind of test.

Zach Gen3

Reaction score
I had a 22 and now have a 23. While I have not had the 23 off-road nearly as much, I do not notice any real difference.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had a 2020 with a torsen and a 2023 without. I drove the 2020 on and off road. I haven't driven the 2023 off road yet, but so far on road I’m grateful to not have the torsen. The 2020 did always feel pretty grippy in the front off road, so it’ll be interesting to see how I feel about the 2023 on the trails. I wouldn’t mind an objective test on this to be done comparing a 2022 with a 23, very hard to tell the benefit otherwise. There aren’t that many people who have driven in a variety of environments with both a 21-22 and 23 Raptor. Comparing different gens is also pretty apples and oranges. I’m just happy 4A still gives amazing traction in the wet and I don’t have tugging on the steering wheel anymore. If i saw a video showing a substantial difference in torsen equipped trucks, my mind could be changed and I might install one. Such a video doesn’t exist.

At the end of the day there are needs and wants. No one needs a torsen, but if you want one….$*%ing go for it!!!

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of all the dipsh!t youtoobers out there, Matt Farah is one that I think has enough seat time in so many things to have a solid opinion. Driving the R with no torsen and Fords electronic system, he says he’s shocked it’s not a mechanical lsd and if nobody told him, he would think the R has one.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^I stand corrected. If the electronics work well, in theory they’d be better. The ability to brake individual wheels in milliseconds is not something you can do from the driver seat. Id still like to see a comparison between a 22 and 23 through different obstacles/terrain types.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the data point I look at, ford just ran the Baja 1000 in a stock 24 raptor R… seemed to do just fine.(minus cage, wheels, etc for safety)

I look at it this way:

torsen diff goal is to transfer torque to the outside drive wheel during a turn as the inside wheel binds/slips at speed on loose surfaces giving better turn performance. For arguments sake let’s say it can do that with 0% torque loss.

The brake lock goal does the same thing except it costs some % of torque (and brake life) to instead of mechanically sending torque outside it uses the brake to slow the inside wheel. Same result achieved in terms of overdriving the outside wheel. The base raptor has 510lbft available so what circumstances would the driver run into where the brake lock (if well programmed) actually slowed the vehicle down or unsettled the vehicle contrary to driver expectation? Yes the driver will have to add more gas, as the brake lock diff needs more power at the same speed to overcome the braking action. The only scenario I see is taking turns at full throttle where there is no more torque to give. How often are folks out there going full throttle into and through a turn, and on top of that a turn sharp enough where the difference in wheel speed between the left and right would be enough to trigger the torsen?? To me and i would guess nearly all owners it is a ~0% occurrence. I suspect anyone with the talent to attempt something like that is going to heavily modify their truck because the front diff wouldn’t be the first component to come up short vs their talent.

Last edited: