Keep 2018 and go live valve/sdi or go new gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor150

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have had my Gen 2 for a couple of years now, it's been a good truck other than cam phasers (replaced under warranty) and the usual sunroof issues. My dilemma comes when considering if I should go to a new Gen 3, or if I should stick with my 2018 with 52k miles on it and go live valve conversion with the SDI EClik, along with any supporting mods (front springs/deavers, etc..) an wheels/tires.

I like my gen2 but I drove a gen 3 with the recaros, I loved the way t drove and I appreciate the suspension setup it has stock. I go out to the desert fairly regularly, and plan on doing some runs including Baja in the near future.

I can afford the gen 3, but the markups obviously suck, and I don't like that the 2023 trucks don"t have the front torsen anymore. Looking at 2022 trucks, I would be paying basically MSRP for a 1+ year old truck, but at least I could find the spec i want and get a torsen. Going with new is 10k markup around here (CA) or calling dealers in other states and taking whatever spec they have (I did find one at msrp a while back but was not the specs/colors I wanted).

Anyone have any advice here? Thanks in advance, I have learned a lot about these trucks on here already!

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll give you a convoluted answer, LOL I have a 20 with Fox 3.0s, and the SDI EClik system. It’s really unbelievable, shocks react at 500 times a second (their words) both on and off road. Fox live valves are the best shocks out there, and hooked up to the EClik, they have no equal off road, unless you go mid travel, which is a lot more money, and on road doesn’t have the best manners. It’s hard to park, and do u turns, and yes, I’ve witnessed it.

Gen 3 trucks are great, but the guys I go to Baja with tell me the suspension is too soft, and they can’t carry 2 spares, and other gear. They bottom a lot, even with aftermarket springs.

If you plan on going to Baja, I would recommend probably a worked Gen 2.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Depends. You can add the 4 link to your Gen 2 for less the cost of a Gen 3.

My vote is Gen 2 with 3.0/3.5 shocks to your liking, bypass, fenders and supporting mods.

OP
OP
R

raptor150

Reaction score
I’ll give you a convoluted answer, LOL I have a 20 with Fox 3.0s, and the SDI EClik system. It’s really unbelievable, shocks react at 500 times a second (their words) both on and off road. Fox live valves are the best shocks out there, and hooked up to the EClik, they have no equal off road, unless you go mid travel, which is a lot more money, and on road doesn’t have the best manners. It’s hard to park, and do u turns, and yes, I’ve witnessed it.

Gen 3 trucks are great, but the guys I go to Baja with tell me the suspension is too soft, and they can’t carry 2 spares, and other gear. They bottom a lot, even with aftermarket springs.

If you plan on going to Baja, I would recommend probably a worked Gen 2.

Thank you for the insight. Since I plan on either keeping my gen 2 or the new gen 3 for at least 5 years if I go that route, I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on mods with the gen 2 if I could get the performance I need off-road in a stock gen 3.

Since you are familiar with the SDI system, do you think it would work fine with just the one live valve springs, + bump stops, or would you recommend springs front and rear, or any other supporting mods?

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have had my Gen 2 for a couple of years now, it's been a good truck other than cam phasers (replaced under warranty) and the usual sunroof issues. My dilemma comes when considering if I should go to a new Gen 3, or if I should stick with my 2018 with 52k miles on it and go live valve conversion with the SDI EClik, along with any supporting mods (front springs/deavers, etc..) an wheels/tires.

I like my gen2 but I drove a gen 3 with the recaros, I loved the way t drove and I appreciate the suspension setup it has stock. I go out to the desert fairly regularly, and plan on doing some runs including Baja in the near future.

I can afford the gen 3, but the markups obviously suck, and I don't like that the 2023 trucks don"t have the front torsen anymore. Looking at 2022 trucks, I would be paying basically MSRP for a 1+ year old truck, but at least I could find the spec i want and get a torsen. Going with new is 10k markup around here (CA) or calling dealers in other states and taking whatever spec they have (I did find one at msrp a while back but was not the specs/colors I wanted).

Anyone have any advice here? Thanks in advance, I have learned a lot about these trucks on here already!
Do you have a GT500 yet?

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. Since I plan on either keeping my gen 2 or the new gen 3 for at least 5 years if I go that route, I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on mods with the gen 2 if I could get the performance I need off-road in a stock gen 3.

Since you are familiar with the SDI system, do you think it would work fine with just the one live valve springs, + bump stops, or would you recommend springs front and rear, or any other supporting mods?
I’d go springs f / r, plus the SDI revalve. SDI doesn’t say what they do (claim it’s proprietary), but I think it’s just like what Shock Therapy does in the SXS world. They weld shut the original flow holes, and create / drill in new flow holds. Unless you open up the shocks, you’ll never know for sure, but that’s my guess. Definitely get bumps, your choice.

Once you get your truck put together, take a look at EXO, Exhibition X Off Road. They have fantastic runs in Baja, with all the logistics worked out. All you have to do is drive. We’re going to Cabo in October, driving the whole peninsula, did it once already, great time. Once you drive Baja, you’ll keep coming back! Scenery and people are awesome!

OP
OP
R

raptor150

Reaction score
I’d go springs f / r, plus the SDI revalve. SDI doesn’t say what they do (claim it’s proprietary), but I think it’s just like what Shock Therapy does in the SXS world. They weld shut the original flow holes, and create / drill in new flow holds. Unless you open up the shocks, you’ll never know for sure, but that’s my guess. Definitely get bumps, your choice.

Once you get your truck put together, take a look at EXO, Exhibition X Off Road. They have fantastic runs in Baja, with all the logistics worked out. All you have to do is drive. We’re going to Cabo in October, driving the whole peninsula, did it once already, great time. Once you drive Baja, you’ll keep coming back! Scenery and people are awesome!

So something like geiser/deaver +3 springs with the SDI? Also I noticed SDI has that leveling bucket that replaces the OEM strut mount and gives 1.75" of lift, so I was hoping that those plus bum stops in the rear could give me enough to keep from bottoming out and causing damage, but keep a nice on-road ride. Seems like you are saying springs would be a must once adding all the gear needed to do something like Baja.

I have been checking out EXO, looks like fun. Sounds awesome, would love to go out there in October.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts