2020 Whistle Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Begone

Begone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^No not like that. No noise stationary.
I went to Dealer this morning. Shop manager rode with me. He heard it to. We did various tests, neutral, put in 4H/4A at various speeds. Sounds still there. It’s loudest and most noticeable around 35-45 mph where the pitch is loud/low enough it’s pretty apparent. The faster you go the higher pitch it gets and gets less noticeable.
He said to bring in and leave it’s not something he’s dealt with on these Raptors yet. Then complained they ever got rid of the V8’s. Ha!! Something we all can agree on. Nice guy, old school.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ring and pinion setup in the rear axle. At the loudest MPH, does sound change at all when going from on the gas to off the gas?

OP
OP
Begone

Begone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ring and pinion setup in the rear axle. At the loudest MPH, does sound change at all when going from on the gas to off the gas?

no. No change in sound. Gas off, neutral, nothing. It’s all wheels turning on the ground related. Only thing we can’t check is if it’s a bad ground wire through the speakers.
What we can’t know now is if you can hear it from the outside. Shop guy said they can take the wheels off the ground and try to pin point the noise.

lakebum

Reaction score
^^^No not like that. No noise stationary.
I went to Dealer this morning. Shop manager rode with me. He heard it to. We did various tests, neutral, put in 4H/4A at various speeds. Sounds still there. It’s loudest and most noticeable around 35-45 mph where the pitch is loud/low enough it’s pretty apparent. The faster you go the higher pitch it gets and gets less noticeable.
He said to bring in and leave it’s not something he’s dealt with on these Raptors yet. Then complained they ever got rid of the V8’s. Ha!! Something we all can agree on. Nice guy, old school.

Your description above is exact to mine .

It certainly could be rear axle, but I am leaning to transfer case or tail shaft side of the transmission. It will likely be a couple of weeks before mine makes it to the dealer .

Lewis Raptor

Reaction score
I am having exact same noise! Picked up the 2020 Nov 18, 2 miles on it and the whining/whistling noise that fluctuates in tone as you go faster.
It does still make noise when put in neutral and rolling at speed! This is my 4th Raptor since 2017 and never heard this, yes you will hear turbo, but this is different! Still made noise when rolling downhill in neutral as well.

OP
OP
Begone

Begone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still haven’t had time to take mine in. Hopefully this week or next.

Anyone else have any updates?

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Not sure who "we" is, but no, "we all" do not all agree with that. Good luck...