2019 Snow tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I just purchased a 2019 ruby red metallic raptor December 31, 2018. I traded my 2017. I was not planning on actually purchasing, I just wanted to test the live shocks. After about 5 minutes of driving I could feel the difference , in a good way. Almost no body roll in corners and the truck just feels more planted. Firm, but planted. There were only 2 things I did not like about my 2017, body roll and secure feeling driving in snow. I know the snow driving is more about tires.

So I was wondering if there are any winter tires members suggest for the raptor. I live on the coast and we tend to get get rain with most of our snow storms, which ends up creating ice. I do not like the KO2'S in a combination of ice and snow.

I also feel like ford did a great job with the mid cycle refresh of the raptor enough that I could justify trading. I got $ 58,000.00 for my 2017 with 21,000 miles and I paid $ 1000.00 under invoice. All the other dealers around me were $ 5000.00 over MSRP.

Any suggestions on winter tires would be much appreciated.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need true winter tires or something for year- round driving that happen to also be M&S rated?

I’m a big fan of true winter tires with a lot of sidewall for driving on ice/snow...and the inevitable hidden potholes under the snow. So for me, stock rims with Nokian tires in the winter.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome! sweet truck isn't it? Please populate your signature box with your location, where are you? Location makes a great difference when asking for snow tire info...

Last edited:

Brandin10

Reaction score
I got Nokkian Hakappalittas LT2’s studded. I live in northern Alberta Canada. So far they’re great and come in stock size

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run goodyear duratrac year round. Not a dedicated winter tire, but still provides great traction even in the Michigan snow belt/lake effect snow.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need true winter tires or something for year- round driving that happen to also be M&S rated?

I’m a big fan of true winter tires with a lot of sidewall for driving on ice/snow...and the inevitable hidden potholes under the snow. So for me, stock rims with Nokian tires in the winter.

Thank you. How are the Nokian doing on snow and ice ? And how do you compare them with the KO2'S Stock tires in snow. Do you feel the need for studded tires ?

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run goodyear duratrac year round. Not a dedicated winter tire, but still provides great traction even in the Michigan snow belt/lake effect snow.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I thought the Goodyear duratrac's were snow tires ? How do you compare them with the BF GOODRICH KO2'S THAT came with the raptor on snow. I get very similar weather up here in maine that you get in Michigan.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome! sweet truck isn't it? Please populate your signature box with your location, where are you? Location makes a great difference when asking for snow tire info...

Sorry about that. I am in Maine.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got Nokkian Hakappalittas LT2’s studded. I live in northern Alberta Canada. So far they’re great and come in stock size

Thank you very much. I was seriously considering studded snow tires, and I have heard great things about the nokkian hakappalittas. I whitetail deer hunt every November in alberta. I love it ! I hunt in the Glendon/ bonneyville area.

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the Goodyear duratrac's were snow tires ? How do you compare them with the BF GOODRICH KO2'S THAT came with the raptor on snow. I get very similar weather up here in maine that you get in Michigan.

No, Duratrac is a snow-flake rated all-terrain tire that GY markets as "A workhorse tire for rugged off-road terrain — including snow — that still offers a quieter ride on paved roads. The bold aggressive tread design is great for work truck towing and hauling.".

If you look online, there are a ton of positive reviews for this tire, and I have personally been running it for the last 4 or 5 years on all my trucks year around. I find it to provide excellent traction in all conditions that I have encountered, and am even able to leave my truck in 2wd most of the time in the winter. In heavy snowfall or on severely icy roads in 4wd, I find myself pretty much doing circles around most other people struggling to get traction. And while I do not have any experience with dedicated winter tires, the GY DT has never left me wanting more traction. The only down side I've found is that it is a tad bit louder on smooth pavement, and does wear a bit faster.

As for the KO2, it is also a snow-flake rated (https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/mountainsnowflake-symbol/) and I personally think it outperforms most other tires. That said, I switched to the Duratrac within the first 1000 miles of owning my truck if that tells you anything...