GEN 2 2019 Oil Dip Stick Readings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come guys
It just checking the oil
Very very basic procedure.

Maybe YouTube has something to view the procedure.

lol
I agree, checking the oil shouldn't be rocket science but.....

DDP

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s tough getting a hold of the dipstick. I bought a work platform otherwise you need 7’ long arms to reach the dipstick.

Here’s a pic of my dipstick.
Wondering if the handle is positioned the same?
View attachment 129938

I am 6'3 so that's not a huge problem, still a reach though. I meant the stick dragging on the inside of the oil tube, the oil pick up tube in the pan, or whatever else may be inside. It's almost like it is dragging the side of the pan gasket or something.

On a related note, it recently occurred to me that you can put your foot in the front bumper loop and reach just about anywhere under the hood, really helped when doing plugs. Don't have to worry about whatever platform you're standing on kicking out.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, checking the oil shouldn't be rocket science but.....

DDP
This is true. I guess I’m lucky I’m not having problems reading my oil level.
Hope you get it worked out.

another note: in your first photo it looks like you may be very low on oil. I don’t see readable oil level on the stick.

maybe drain oil and change filter and put 6 qts back in and try checking the level after that. Should get your reading and also you will know for sure the correct amount is in the engine

I can’t think of anything else

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if the dipstick is inserted incorrectly and thus smearing the oil on the inside of the tube.

I posted the pic to show mine. I get a full reading across the flat side of the dipstick.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if the dipstick is inserted incorrectly and thus smearing the oil on the inside of the tube.

I posted the pic to show mine. I get a full reading across the flat side of the dipstick.
Inserting it straight and not at an angle

DDP

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can others post pics of their oil levels on the dipstick?

DDP

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can others post pics of their oil levels on the dipstick?

DDP

Reading taken on my sloped driveway so the level is below full.

023768A0-A5C4-41B5-A607-79052BBC6B96.jpeg

Change your oil and add the 6 quarts for your own peace of mind. Measure the amount that comes out.

2018RubyRed

Reaction score
If you ever get the joy of tearing down one of these motors you'll find out there is no actual dipstick tube. The stick goes through the head into the pan. I follows the same path as the oil drain. Best bet is to let it sit for a while other wise you wind up catching oil as it drops back down into the pan. There is quite a bit of oil flowing on the top of the heads when it's running.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where the oil is solid, thats the oil level, not the streak.

Streak is just a streak. Be sure to clean then insert, then pull, then read.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I have already changed the oil myself since new at around 1,250 miles, I don't trust that dipstick reading and will change the oil again.

This oil has about 3,500 miles on it but putting in exactly 6 quarts to replace with new filter should leave no doubt. Was cheap enough buying Mobil 1 Full Synthetic from WalMart ($43.85). I purchased 5 quart ($25.77) + 1 quart ($8.96) so no need to measure.

Also gives me the excuse to install the new Futomo valve I just received.

:)

397bd64e27792ef028589714f1fabb25.jpg

DDP