Low oil reading on dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2020 with 5,800 miles, at 1,000 miles, I changed the oil using Amsoil 5w-30 100 synthetic signature series. I also use their oil filter. I have a dual catch can and was checking to see if there was any oil and decided to check the engine oil. I found the dipstick read slightly below half. There was very little oil in the door catch can, not even enough to mention. Is this normal for a Raptors to burn oil? I did a quick Google search and read that the oil level should be at the halfway mark between the two dots on the dipstick. Anybody care to comment?

A9875678-E2AD-42BD-9670-A070DA95C801.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, there is a tsb for oil leaks on the valve covers, depending on when your Raptor was manufactured. I believe @FordTechOne has posted this before. I can't remember when the exact date of manufacture its for.

The issue was related to oil consumption due to faulty valve covers, and only affected vehicles built 4-1-2019 or earlier. 1/2 quart of oil consumption within a 5k interval during engine break-in is not unusual at all, especially if it’s driven aggressively. If oil consumption is above spec after the 10k break-in period, a revised PCM calibration is available for certain 2018-2020 Raptor/Limited HO engines.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there is a tsb for oil leaks on the valve covers, depending on when your Raptor was manufactured. I believe @FordTechOne has posted this before. I can't remember when the exact date of manufacture its for.
I have a 2019 and I am taking it in tomorrow to get new valve covers installed due to excessive oil consumption.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue was related to oil consumption due to faulty valve covers, and only affected vehicles built 4-1-2019 or earlier. 1/2 quart of oil consumption within a 5k interval during engine break-in is not unusual at all, especially if it’s driven aggressively. If oil consumption is above spec after the 10k break-in period, a revised PCM calibration is available for certain 2018-2020 Raptor/Limited HO engines.
What does the PCM calibration do? Will I need to get my MPT tunes reworked?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does the PCM calibration do? Will I need to get my MPT tunes reworked?

Not sure of specific details on the calibration. However, it will overwrite your aftermarket tune. If you want to re-install a tune, it will need to be based off of Ford’s latest calibration.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Mine took almost an entire quart of oil, only 4,600 miles since oil change. Had 1,000 miles when I changed the oil.