Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Low oil reading on dip stick

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Todd Turbo S, Nov 17, 2020.

1. JefferyGT

JefferyGT Full Access Member

There is break in oil from the factory. Very common to consume oil before first oil service.

2. Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S Full Access Member

I didn’t realize there was a break in oil, I changed the factory oil at 1,050 and filled it with Amsoil SS

3. GordoJay

GordoJay Full Access Member

There isn’t. First recommended oil change is at 10k miles...

4. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

Does anybody really wait that long? That's crazy, I'm lucky if I wait 5k and I feel guilty waiting that long.

richnot likes this.
  5. Oldfart

Oldfart FRF Addict

Screw that. My oil was changed by the dealer at 750 because my timing cover cracked. If it hadn't been, I was going to change it at 1000 if that hadn't happened. I'm changing it at 5000 next, and from then on every 5,000.

richnot and CoronaRaptor like this.
  6. richnot

richnot Full Access Member

Who would ever go to 10k miles before changing their oil?
    My wife’s Grand Cherokee has a oil life percent reading when you toggle through the menu, according to the Jeep dealer and from what I have read it takes into consideration engine idle time, engine start and stops, mileage etc. to come up with that reading. Since we received lifetime oil changes with the purchase I bring it in anywhere from 3500 to 5000 miles and it always has shown that the remaining oil life was between 40-60 percent. The dealer never questioned me about having it changed before the oil life percent was low.
    But they do bang me $25 for a tire rotation and fluid top off, it does save my back for better things

7. GordoJay

Anyone who goes by the manual or the oil life monitor. Probably anyone who maintains a fleet. I did my first change at 5k and am planning to change it every 5k into the future, mostly because it's a nice round number easy to remember. 10k would probably be OK, 7,500 would be fine, but it's so cheap and easy, why push it?

8. JohnyPython

JohnyPython FRF Addict

My UOA of Amsoil SS says I can go up to 6800 miles max. I thought about it but I’ll stick to 5000 miles.

9. GordoJay

My recollection from the threads where guys were getting their oil tested was that around 7k was the sweet spot. If I have to go over 5k because of a road trip, I'm not going to sweat it.

10. smgilles

smgilles FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member