Front Stock Fox vs Fox 3.0 vs Icon 3.0 vs King 3.0: Dyno Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
External bypass from Fox and King (rears usually) are clicky - and are noisier than stock. Icons have the silent valving setup. I believe ntm has a much more serious setup up front and not the usual basic coilover upogrades. I've got Fox3.0 front and rear and the rears are very clicky when slowly cruising on a rough road or parking lot. Sounds like a rattley truck.

jaschandel

Reaction score
External bypass from Fox and King (rears usually) are clicky - and are noisier than stock. Icons have the silent valving setup. I believe ntm has a much more serious setup up front and not the usual basic coilover upogrades. I've got Fox3.0 front and rear and the rears are very clicky when slowly cruising on a rough road or parking lot. Sounds like a rattley truck.

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the answer. I live in Southern California and use my truck as a daily driver so I'm going to go ahead and do the icon set up. Thanks!

jayzwill

Reaction score
This was awesome information! This is honestly the type of comparision and experimentation that I appreciate seeing for anything i'm looking to purchase. This has certainly made the decision process significantly easier. Specifically, because it was exceedingly educational for a VERY inexperienced guy when it comes to aftermarket shocks. It is without a doubt a bit of a read, but it sure was worth it!

RPTR89

Reaction score
great info, huge help as I begin to make some serious suspension decisions. Thanks!

Renegade70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was an awesome write up, but would like some more information in more layman's terms so to speak. I was most interested in the ride frequency test and how the stock Fox and Fox 3.0 were both at 1.1. I am wanting more of ride similar to that of the Trophy Truck at .5 to .75 without it being a Trophy Truck or having the cost of one. Currently my truck is stock and am wanting to upgrade, but want to go in the right direction if I am going to spend $8000 or so. My truck is not intended as a street queen, but is my daily driver and spends probable 90% of its life on the street. It sees weekend use off road and for hunting. I have noticed since I bought it, that it feels a little clunky at speeds below 40 mph and you can hear the suspension working I guess is the best way to describe it. You can hear it as it goes over pot holes and expansion joints. At speeds over 40, it comes alive and have no complaints there. Is this a normal explanation for most Raptors in their stock form? What would be the best route to improve the slower speeds. By the way, I live in the Midwest and don't have ready access to deserts where I can drive wide open all the time. I do plan on adding the Deaver +2 Leaf Springs as soon as possible, but would like to know which direction to go on shocks or just stay with stock based on what I have described?

Attachments

• Test2Results_zps4ed7b512.jpg
    Test2Results_zps4ed7b512.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was an awesome write up, but would like some more information in more layman's terms so to speak. I was most interested in the ride frequency test and how the stock Fox and Fox 3.0 were both at 1.1. I am wanting more of ride similar to that of the Trophy Truck at .5 to .75 without it being a Trophy Truck or having the cost of one. Currently my truck is stock and am wanting to upgrade, but want to go in the right direction if I am going to spend $8000 or so. My truck is not intended as a street queen, but is my daily driver and spends probable 90% of its life on the street. It sees weekend use off road and for hunting. I have noticed since I bought it, that it feels a little clunky at speeds below 40 mph and you can hear the suspension working I guess is the best way to describe it. You can hear it as it goes over pot holes and expansion joints. At speeds over 40, it comes alive and have no complaints there. Is this a normal explanation for most Raptors in their stock form? What would be the best route to improve the slower speeds. By the way, I live in the Midwest and don't have ready access to deserts where I can drive wide open all the time. I do plan on adding the Deaver +2 Leaf Springs as soon as possible, but would like to know which direction to go on shocks or just stay with stock based on my what I have described?

Are you on mid perch if not I'd try that.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the shocks rebuilt and went to mid perch. That corrected the clunk noise. It is a very smooth ride now!

If you want to step it up another notch, go with the Gieser Bros progressive front springs. It made a big difference and didnt break the bank! I have mine on mid perch now, the low perch was higher than stock springs on low perch and nice and soft over small stuff, but i felt the ride was a little too mushy. Lots of brake dive too (like a trophy truck). Now with the Gieser springs on mid perch, its a sweet ride that fits the bill for us weekend warriors. Those springs, Deavers in the rear, and you'll have a huge upgrade over stock.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was an awesome write up, but would like some more information in more layman's terms so to speak. I was most interested in the ride frequency test and how the stock Fox and Fox 3.0 were both at 1.1. I am wanting more of ride similar to that of the Trophy Truck at .5 to .75 without it being a Trophy Truck or having the cost of one.

Can't be done without having travel to burn. You'll just blow through what you have and bottom. Along with the long travel, you also need decent external bypasses to control all that travel while still having a plush ride zone.

First step is to remove your sway bar, do bumps/deavers/mid perch.
Second, go for the fox 3.0's, they have a wider performance envelope than the other options due to the internal bypass design on the coilover. The rear 3.0's are all pretty much the same.
Third, go full potato with long travel and links. Then you get trophy truck ride frequency, and unfortunately, the associated expenses.