$2.99 Sub Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RajunCajun37

Banned
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I did my sound test without moving and windows up. Weather was get'n bad.

Here are my favorite settings:
Fade to the rear two settings
Balance at the center
SVC on setting #6
Volume at 3/4 full blast
Moving over 10 mph with windows down, at least cracked

I used about half a bag of polyfil. Filled that side section and placed a fair amount around the woofer. Woofer still has some air space, my poly ain't touch'n the magnet.

I was play'n THRIFT SHOP at those settings and it sounded very good. Good highs, decent vocals and lots of midrange bass. The system actually kept up with all the different LOW frequencies in that song. Mid to low bass drops with continuous hard bass notes.

NOT GREAT, trust me that SONY stinks but with the poly and those settings and under certain conditions it's DECENT. Half bag of poly and leave the speaker a little room. I overfilled it at first and it was WEAK.

svt557

Reaction score
Im not a real do-it-yourself type of guy, but when I saw the op and read all of replies I figured what the hell. Knocked this mod out in about 10 mins. I really think it make a significant difference. Glad I did it--Thanks for the lesson!

Anyone want my left-over polyfil?--pm my your address and it yours!

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this today on my '13 SCrew. Have to say I was pretty skeptical, but figured for $3 might be worth a shot. I have to say I think it made a big difference. Less "blah blah blah" and more concentrated punch.

Is it aftermarket quality? Hell no, but for $3 I'm not complaining one bit.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know I did this in my Ram and damn if I could tell much difference. Now I am sure no audiophile !

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I did my sound test without moving and windows up. Weather was get'n bad.

Here are my favorite settings:
Fade to the rear two settings
Balance at the center
SVC on setting #6
Volume at 3/4 full blast
Moving over 10 mph with windows down, at least cracked

I used about half a bag of polyfil. Filled that side section and placed a fair amount around the woofer. Woofer still has some air space, my poly ain't touch'n the magnet.

I was play'n THRIFT SHOP at those settings and it sounded very good. Good highs, decent vocals and lots of midrange bass. The system actually kept up with all the different LOW frequencies in that song. Mid to low bass drops with continuous hard bass notes.

NOT GREAT, trust me that SONY stinks but with the poly and those settings and under certain conditions it's DECENT. Half bag of poly and leave the speaker a little room. I overfilled it at first and it was WEAK.

those are pretty much my exact settings. for a couple of bucks it's a good solution.

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this on my 13 today - I'd say it made a 15% difference - it seems to hit a bit harder and the frequency response is more punchy through out the range not just in the narrow range.

Putting the fader to 3 towards the rear made a big difference - id say 45% difference in actually hearing bass.

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got done doing this mod I used a hole bag of poly mat I believe it was 36x36 I wedged most of it in the large open area and then spay glued some loose stuff in the rest. I have to say it sounds much better but I'm wondering if I used to much.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this a few weeks ago. Used half a bag of polyfill, maybe less. Sounds fantastic. I'm running a Kenwood deck with stock Sony system and the bass hits clean and hard. Just need to upgrade the door speakers now.