$2.99 Sub Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know someone mentioned this, but wasn't sure if anyone posted up directions. With three bucks and about 10 minutes you can make your sub sound quite a bit better.

first, go by any craft store and pick up PolyFill. A bag big enough to do three raptors costs about 3 bucks. I got mine at hobby lobby.

now, find your sub under the rear passenger seat (mine is a scab):

IMG_0218.jpg

there are three 8mm bolts holding it in. two are horizontal on the seat frame, and one is below a plastic cover on the floor of the truck:

IMG_0210.jpg

after you remove these you can pull the sub. there is a single connector you have to disconnect then take the sub box out of the vehicle and flip it over.
IMG_0211.jpg

there are 8 phillips head screws you have to remove, and then on the top side of the box one more 8 mm bolt. when you remove this it will drop the sub from the box so do it on a flat surface:
IMG_0212.jpg

after the screws are out you can remove the sub from the box - be careful of the wires. Notice the stock batting in there, why did they even bother?
IMG_0213.jpg

pull out the batting and get ready to put in your polyfill. you should fill up the box, but don't pack it super tight, it should be a good even fill all around the sub.

IMG_0214.jpg

after the polyfill is installed:

IMG_0215.jpg

now you can remount the sub. don't forget the top mount bolt. notice that Ford was kind and put matched arrows so you install the sub in the proper direction:

IMG_0216.jpg

Reconnect the quick disconnet sub wire and install the three bolts.

I did a couple of one minute videos showing how the sub hits now. A couple of interesting things in their system. It appears Sony did not build a low pass filter for the sub, rather it is tied into the F/R fader, which really sucks. Normally on stock systems I have the fader set to 20% front, but in this case I need to set it to 20% rear or the sub just doesn't hit, kind of screws up the staging, but i'll live with it until I mod the system.

From the videos you can see my settings for bass, treble, and fader.

IMG 0219 - YouTube

IMG 0220 - YouTube

enjoy