GEN 2 1st oil change / analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it’s an extra 10 bucks for the TBN test, which my professional driver buddy recommended. he’s had 2 Town Cars with .75 million miles between them so he’s pretty thorough.

Fun fact:
Viscosity was 54.3; SUS at 210F. That is squarely 0w or 5w / 20 oil, not xw30...

I called to discuss, and I’m the only Rap in the 2017 sample set but --ALL-- the other Ecoboosts in the system show the same or lower viscosity; only samples at 5k miles or under checked.

interesting.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it’s an extra 10 bucks for the TBN test, which my professional driver buddy recommended. he’s had 2 Town Cars with .75 million miles between them so he’s pretty thorough.

Fun fact:
Viscosity was 54.3; SUS at 210F. That is squarely 0w or 5w / 20 oil, not xw30...

I called to discuss, and I’m the only Rap in the 2017 sample set but --ALL-- the other Ecoboosts in the system show the same or lower viscosity; only samples at 5k miles or under checked.

interesting.

Makes sense that the oil would breakdown, that's why we change it at regular intervals.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think I need to clarify, as I possibly did not articulate the previous comment fully. The oil from the factory was 0w20 or 5w20. The manual calls for xw30.

According to the woman I spoke to, it was not obvious whether or not the sample was a blend or full synthetic, but the viscosity showed that it was a 20 weight oil, and --all-- the 3.5TT in the data base had the same viscosity numbers.

So Ford is putting some, probably 5w20 in the trucks at the factory.

The woman i spoke with also mentioned she wasn’t seeing a lot ( or any ) evidence of shearing in any of the 3.5’s she had seen.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I need to clarify, as I possibly did not articulate the previous comment fully. The oil from the factory was 0w20 or 5w20. The manual calls for xw30.

According to the woman I spoke to, it was not obvious whether or not the sample was a blend or full synthetic, but the viscosity showed that it was a 20 weight oil, and --all-- the 3.5TT in the data base had the same viscosity numbers.

So Ford is putting some, probably 5w20 in the trucks at the factory.

The woman i spoke with also mentioned she wasn’t seeing a lot ( or any ) evidence of shearing in any of the 3.5’s she had seen.

Interesting.....so they call for 5w30 but are putting in 5w20 at the factory, and a larger oil filter. hmmmm (breaking maybe?)