GEN 2 1 Mile Remote Starter range via new fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, my ex gf, hit the wrong button on her bmw remote and all the windows went down while she went shopping, but she said the car was still locked and nobody could get in. :eek:

Reminds me of a conversation I had with an ex years ago.

GF: I think it's starting to rain!
Me: Honey, you're standing next to a sprinkler.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Viper one was on the 1st wireless alrams. I installed a **** ton of them way back in 1987 - 1993 when I was a alarm and stereo guy. Viper, or correctly DEI (Directed Electronics Incorporated) were cutting edge 30 years ago. Glad to see they are still around and producing a quality product.

I can get about 1/2 mile out of my factory key fob. Anything more then that I just use Ford Pass.

OP
OP
Xtinct

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEI (Directed Electronics Incorporated) were cutting edge 30 years ago.

I feel llike DEI could be doing more. They do have newer style systems that quickly integrate into the factory system for an almost plug and play setup. But I didnt install that system because you dont have the LCD remote with as much feedback information. It seems they have left some functionality out of their latest offerings.

I did use a module so the remote start was 1 wire, but I still had to wire in all the security related items like back in the 90's.

Though it does also interface to the factory alarm system so if that goes off you get the Viper alarm and notifications, and Ford Pass will tell you that the factory system was triggered.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not knocking the Viper system and it has some great features. But I do believe you can set Forscan in the Gen 2 to allow you to work the front windows from the remote. Hasn’t
Been a priority for me, so kind of forgot about it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does this system install? Do you have to hack up the stock harness or is it some kind of plug and play? I am never one to trust aftermarket electronics, I’ve seen the damage that can be done to the OE circuitry and modules one too many times.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel llike DEI could be doing more. They do have newer style systems that quickly integrate into the factory system for an almost plug and play setup. But I didnt install that system because you dont have the LCD remote with as much feedback information. It seems they have left some functionality out of their latest offerings.

I did use a module so the remote start was 1 wire, but I still had to wire in all the security related items like back in the 90's.

Though it does also interface to the factory alarm system so if that goes off you get the Viper alarm and notifications, and Ford Pass will tell you that the factory system was triggered.
the 5906 that you installed is no different from the 5904 i installed in my truck in 2013, other than a different remote color and charging plug. i gave that system away and got the 5906 last year. same thing. no different than my old system. directed has been focused on their ds4 systems, which im pretty certain thats what you are referring to, and i havent liked those much.
Not knocking the Viper system and it has some great features. But I do believe you can set Forscan in the Gen 2 to allow you to work the front windows from the remote. Hasn’t
Been a priority for me, so kind of forgot about it.
gen 1 doesnt have that feature. and i dont know of anyone other than myself to add window automation to a gen 1. its a pretty complicated job. this current gen f150 ford went back to a standard window type setup allowing easier integration for window automation.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does this system install? Do you have to hack up the stock harness or is it some kind of plug and play? I am never one to trust aftermarket electronics, I’ve seen the damage that can be done to the OE circuitry and modules one too many times.
you have to splice into wires to install these systems. however due to the data modules, its much less risky now. on the current platform f150 there are 2 sets of can data that the modules reads. this pretty much controls everything after you flash the module to the truck. i believe theres a t harness available as well, but im not sure if it makes all the connections.

Last edited: