GEN 2 1 Mile Remote Starter range via new fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to splice into wires to install these systems. however due to the data modules, its much less risky now. on the current platform f150 there are 2 sets of can data that the modules reads. this pretty much controls everything after you flash the module to the truck. i believe theres a t harness available as well, but im not sure if it makes all the connections.

Youch, I definitely dont need one of these systems. I'm perfectly content with the ford pass app

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is all correct. The worst part of the wiring is my truck is fully loaded, there were open wire slots for the rear door wiring plug behind the grommets but the front doors had none, so had to carfully add a couple slots for the power control wires. Doable but it is a very advanced level of difficulty to stay within the factory harness.
when i ran wires, i ended up pulling the front doors off. i had to run 10 sets of wires in each front door. i pulled the door, drilled 2 holes and ran a second rubber grommet. gave me the room to add as many wires as i need

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youch, I definitely dont need one of these systems. I'm perfectly content with the ford pass app
its not as bad as you think. its mostly being able to trust who is installing it. the information available now, is very detailed and hard to mess up. crappy connections are the most common screw ups.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford app thing is free and you can start from anywhere if you want to. I could be in Alaska and start my truck in Florida. This seems a lot easier than a special install.
the ford app does allow you to access some features, however it is lacking quite a bit compared to the viper smart start. but its not for everyone, so i dont expect everyone to agree.

D

Deleted member 17706

Does the Viper system still have the 15 min remote start limit? That’s the only feature I wish I could change on mine. Yes, I know you can extend the time from the FordPass app, but it is still annoying. Besides that, I love the FordPass app.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the Viper system still have the 15 min remote start limit? That’s the only feature I wish I could change on mine. Yes, I know you can extend the time from the FordPass app, but it is still annoying. Besides that, I love the FordPass app.
yes, it can be programmed during the install time. its default to 12 minutes, but mine is programmed for a 30 minute runtime. so everytime i start my truck it will run for 30min

OP
OP
Xtinct

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the factory fob buttons from the circuit board & took a belt sander to the circuit board to shape it to fit inside the Viper fob. It only add 1/8" to the height of the Viper fob, and overall is a smaller package than the Raptor fob. Yiou can see 1-1/2 of the 2 LEDs have been shaved off too. :)

I am sure this will strike fear in the minds of some on this forum.

IMG-20200314-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20200314-WA0008.jpeg