WTF?! Warning + Citation for Headlights? Come On!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cop was jealous of you. Lol.
Seriously though, thats total ********! Was it an AA Co. cop or state trooper? It seems like AA Co gets the special ed class of the police academy. And what exactly did you Fail to properly Locate and/or Equip headlights and appropriate equipment with?

^State Trooper. Wow, huh?

No, that was legitimately what my citation said, "Failure to properly Locate and/or Equip headlights and appropriate equipment." Seems like a blanket way of saying **** You for having custom headlights that are actually bright enough to properly light the way and aren't Obnoxious. 8K is when you start getting the Blue glow that ****** some people off. 6K is right at that cusp of white light but still perfect.

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But what did you fail to locate? Obviously your truck was equipped with headlights. They were in the right spot. Kinda sounds like a ticket my dad got. He was stopped at a red light and someone hit him from behind. Not hard, there was no damage. But the lady (bitch) in front of him said he hit her. Now she had a blue scuff on the back of her car. Only problem is my dad has a green truck....with a chrome bumper. He got a ticket for failure to control vehicle, failure to avoid an accident, and some other ******** ticket. Hes always been really good friends with the AA Co sheriff since they were kids so he got out of that really quick but it still seems like the cops up there are making up shit to write people tickets.

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what did you fail to locate? Obviously your truck was equipped with headlights. They were in the right spot. Kinda sounds like a ticket my dad got. He was stopped at a red light and someone hit him from behind. Not hard, there was no damage. But the lady (bitch) in front of him said he hit her. Now she had a blue scuff on the back of her car. Only problem is my dad has a green truck....with a chrome bumper. He got a ticket for failure to control vehicle, failure to avoid an accident, and some other ******** ticket. Hes always been really good friends with the AA Co sheriff since they were kids so he got out of that really quick but it still seems like the cops up there are making up shit to write people tickets.

^You better believe it brother. Failure to Locate... what the heck that is supposed to mean is beyond me. I think its just a blanket citation description to hit people on Lights in general. Like I think I fall into Equip as in "proper" headlights but Locate prolly means if I was running a 50" Lightbar on my Driver's Door or some silly reason like that.

This is America, and I say give me Light or you better get out of my way lol.

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Thanks brother. Its just its pretty hard since I have only weekends off, I'm in a unique situation that I don't have any time during week. Ugh... I think it's just garbage that this had to happen in the first place.

Silver lining though! I was able get the new wheels on Before I got pulled over and Shat upon.

Attachments

• Wheels!.jpg
    Wheels!.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Lights!.jpg
    Lights!.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 236

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cops can and will give you a ticket for not adjusting your headlights properly. However, it sounds like yours were adjusted correctly, so ya he was having a bad day and took it out on you. I imagine that the lights did blind him if you were RIGHT behind him, but unless you pissed him off or like I said, he was having a bad day, they should have given you a warning and left it at that.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I gotta hand to the police in my area I was driving down the road with my KC LED lights on by accident and I got pulled over.. Motorcycle cop came up to me and said you know your off road lights are on? I thought what in the hell is he talking about I looked down and my up fitter switch two was on and glowing.. I said dam that's not suppose to be on.. He said you know your not suppose to have them on while driving on the road? I said yea I know... Sorry... He said turn them off have a nice day and be careful when pulling back in to traffic... I was thinking no way that just happened...

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems too me he was having, a- a really bad day and just wanted to have a confrontation or, b- the local troopers have a "quota" but won't admit it.. The local police management here call it a performance expectation and he was trying to squeeze in his performance before the deadline and it sounds like quite a performance.

I also suspect that Steve O is on to something with the jealousy. Sometimes I see people, especially traffic bastard cops lol that their attitude is if it's extra nice I will find something to get him.

This all being said, looks up the act under the ticket wording. I know it's different here but I would guess that like here it states something along producing a glaring or blinding light as the catch all and that's why the wording doesn't match the suggested inaction.

I'd fight it. In my OPINION it's worth a try. If you lose, you haven't lost anything more. I would suggest taking all documentation that the dealership repaired your damaged vehicle, specifically font and some specs on your headlights.

Couple questions, have you checked the aiming of your lights? We're they a little high? Was the road wet and causing more glare? Was it a crown Victoria, Taurus, charger etc? (yes it makes a difference) and hae you or someone else done the mid perch or front suspension mods since aiming the lights or were they re aimed after doing so? Was there anything in the bed?

All of these things could cause glare, not your fault but he's clearly an ******* and doesn't know how to contact low and escalate as necessary... Sort of like week 1 at the police academy stuff.

There's no need to be giving tickets to good people. Only the wreck less on road drivers, arrogant, or real criminals deserve tickets like this.

There's no excuse why he couldn't pull over and let you pass to stop the issue he was having with your lights. Seems like he could also have this as his go to ticket to meet his expectation as its easy when he sees a truck and the courts may view it as an officer perception call to issue which does make it harder to defeat in court.

All in all he was an ******* and has no logical excuse. I appreciate you not painting all Leo's with the brush he was waving around, I feel for you.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... you're saying that Raptor Retrofit sells illegal lights? Um, gonna have to disagree. Last I checked he takes OEM lights and then just improves the components and paints them. Also, I have 6K HIDs from the factory on my GT500-clone back home and they're just as bright but I have NEVER been questioned on them. I think its just a matter of ride height, our trucks are alot higher than most cars but still that's no reason to pull someone over, either get a higher vehicle or **** my way.

Exactly what I'm saying. Don't get me wrong his lights are incredible, but they are not DOT regulated and certified. Meaning they are illegal to run on the road

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ ice cobra, that's what police are looking for on a traffic stop. Honesty and when you mess up admitting it and taking responsibility. Thats how it's supposed to happen right there folks, thanks for the co operation have a great day.

Too bad new guy got the guy with little man syndrome and has to tell his boy/girlfriend how bad ass he was at the end of the day.