WTF?! Warning + Citation for Headlights? Come On!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

First let me begin by saying, I respect LEOs 100%. They get the up-close and personal done with some of the shadiest and meanest people on our streets today. I understand they are under constant stress and have a job to do and I respect them (and all you LEOs here) but there's a very fine line between Zero Tolerance and being a total ******* ******.

So here's the situation... I'm driving back on a Saturday evening going under speed limit and have my headlights on, no obnoxious music playing and my seat belt on. No, I never use my phone while driving, I have a console vault that I lock my phone into that I leave on BT there and I do not own a radar detector either. No visual obstruction of my license plates or any exterior extensions of my vehicle further than the allowable 4". And... I get pulled over.

Why? Apparently, "Your headlights, they're blinding everyone." Instant Warning, and no apparent further explanation. No, I don't give a **** that you're in the military. No, I don't care that this is the first evening you've had your truck back since you were in a bad collision. No, I don't even care that there were 2 other vehicles that drove by me with their headlights off at night. I just want to pull you over because my squad car is lower than Your headlights and I looked in my rearview and stared at Your headlights for 1 minute then got mad because I couldn't see.

What the hell?! I promise you all that this was my first evening drive with my truck and Koons Ford did a hell of a good job at fixing Wally up but I am 100% certain that Dawson (Raptor Retrofit) and my shop guy Bob all had my headlights squared away. I looked at them briefly beforehand but I was only doing daytime driving but I could tell they were aimed correctly. So what gives? That ******** response and answer, "Your headlights, they're blinding everyone." What a **** move and a great way to ruin my evening.

So I talked to one of my LEO buddies in town and he said, "Yeah... that's really partially a judgment call by the on scene officer. Your headlights look fine to me, I'd say it was the angle and directness that the other officer looked at it and decided to give you a warning. Our cars are a little lower than your truck so I'd say its just a hit & miss." (Enters his squad mate) Him, "Hmm... I mean they're fine in any other midsized vehicle or around other trucks but hell in our s. cars if I was having a bad day I'd give you a warning too."

Seriously? WTF?! I'm from Texas and that sort of ******** would quickly boil over badly. But its MD and I can see that Trucks aren't quite as welcome here.
---

The kicker to the situation, on the way back got a $3XX citation for "Failure to properly Locate and/or Equip headlights and appropriate equipment." I don't have time to fight this, so I'll pay it but that's garbage. Last I checked 6K HIDs w/ 50w projectors were legal and fine, and I trust my shop guy 100% that they were aimed right. Guess the earlier cop didn't like my dumbfounded expression and respectful silence and sent up another car to wait till I got off the highway.

Witchy

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Wait you got a ticket for driving at night with your LOW BEAMS on?

Wow! So if you had your lights turned off you get a ticket, on you get a ticket. I'm confused. What can a Raptor do when either choice puts you in danger of a ticket.

LEO's give us suggestions please. I seriously don't want a ticket for driving our Raptor at night.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With the first one, as ******* as it may be, at least it was a warning. I don't quite understand the citation. What state code did he get you under? Explanation? Sounds like they're gunnin for you. Lol

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait you got a ticket for driving at night with your LOW BEAMS on?

Wow! So if you had your lights turned off you get a ticket, on you get a ticket. I'm confused. What can a Raptor do when either choice puts you in danger of a ticket.

LEO's give us suggestions please. I seriously don't want a ticket for driving our Raptor at night.

Basically Witchy. My FIT and problem is with the first officer because I'm pretty sure he orchestrated this whole affair.

I have 6K HIDs w/ 50W Projectors ordered from Raptor Retrofit (Dawson), properly installed by the Dealership shop.

I was NOT driving with HI-BEAMS and I was driving with LOW-BEAMS too, then first Warning, and minutes later... Citation. Garbage.

Witchy

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I have never ever heard of such a thing. Maybe some of the LEO's here will chime in and give advice/suggestions/ or just lend knowledge to the situation. Either way NewGuy I'm sorry you had to through that!

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks Witchy. I was just baffled and in silence just passed up my information no argumentation here. I'm just upset because this threw out $3XX for a **** poor reason and against someone who was one of the least deserving on that stretch of road/highway.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's because his lights are so bright, and they are non DOT. They are the proper way to do them, but still do not have that certification. Therefore they are not technically legal.

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... you're saying that Raptor Retrofit sells illegal lights? Um, gonna have to disagree. Last I checked he takes OEM lights and then just improves the components and paints them. Also, I have 6K HIDs from the factory on my GT500-clone back home and they're just as bright but I have NEVER been questioned on them. I think its just a matter of ride height, our trucks are alot higher than most cars but still that's no reason to pull someone over, either get a higher vehicle or **** my way.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't know the laws for how to produce or make something DOT approved. It is possible that they are not DOT approved in which case means there's no leg to stand on if you fought it. If they are, you could always contest the ticket. I would.

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cop was jealous of you. Lol.
Seriously though, thats total ********! Was it an AA Co. cop or state trooper? It seems like AA Co gets the special ed class of the police academy. And what exactly did you Fail to properly Locate and/or Equip headlights and appropriate equipment with?