With the price of TRx, why are folks paying ADM for raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Below are the two trips I referenced in my Raptor using the trucks computer

Raptor from Missoula to San Juan and back
50DBB25B-3C07-4104-B6D0-DE93E8B0CAC2.jpeg

Raptor from Missoula to Seattle and back
8C8FF4FD-DF2C-49BE-8B8D-4FB8A2538583.jpeg

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And here I thought I was the only person that LOVE that line!

Mr body catcher, slaughter gang soul snatcher….you know the rest!
Almost worth getting it printed out and put on the back of the window lol

MKW1456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re not wrong about fuel economy. 14mpg’s in my TRX almost never happens. Jump above 70mph and it’s around 13mpg at best, where my 2020 Raptor was around 17mpg.

I did around 11,000 miles in my first year of ownership with the TRX. I would guess I averaged around 12mpg during that time. I‘d guess a Raptor would be around 16mpg.

11,000 / 13 = 846ish gallons @ $5 a gallon = $4,230
11,000 / 16 = 688ish gallons @ $5 a gallon = $3,440
So roughly $800 a year more in gas

The bigger frustration with a TRX is not the pay to play, but it’s less range per tank. In town it doesn’t really matter, but on longer road trips or in the woods it’s more frustrating. I’d regularly see 500 miles per tank on my Raptor, where the TRX is around 350 miles. I have a 650 mile road trip (one way) coming up, and I’m already thinking about my fuel stops. In the Raptor I just got in and drove. If there is a true weakness with the TRX, it’s miles per tank.
This exactly! I used to get in my 2019 Raptor and never even think about fuel. Hunting trips, trips to soccer tourneys for the kids....never even a thought. With the TRX I watch the gas gauge go down by the minute. With the fuel economy the TRX needs a 38-40 gallon tank!

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree w/ what another poster said I wouldn’t buy ANYTHING I didn’t absolutely NEED right at this moment. While people will say “if you can afford a Raptor or TRX you shouldn’t have to worry about MPGs” & im not so sure that’s true. For starters….the TRX’s abysmal gas mileage + the small tank + the heavy weight + the sweet exhaust note = having to fill up quite often which is a pita on road, but off-road is a legit concern if you’re overlanding/multiple days out etc.

That's why I never considered the TRX. It's a toy, and that's ok, but it's only a toy. The peanut tank neuters it, and while I see the appeal of a Hellcat you can see over traffic with, it is so specialized you lose a lot of flexibility. If you have a fleet of cars and want to take the TRX out to do TRX stuff, good on you. The Raptor is a bit more versatile with off road performance and a lot more usable range if you actually want to go into the boonies a bit.

fo96lv

Reaction score
I don't understand the appeal of a TRX either. I mean I get it, but when you spend enough time looking at it, it's just a lifted 1500 with a hellcat engine. Not a hard recipe to recreate with a regular 1500 with a 5.7 and a whipple. I had one for exactly 1 month before kicking it to the curb. I have a 2014 Raptor and while it's definitely not as fast, for the money it's 1000% times better and the extra $60k I now have can buy a lot of gas and mods.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you want a full back or a half back? Most people like the versatility of the half back, but the full back is much better at certain things. Both are elite athletes at the top of their game.

availaility at MSRP is irrelevant in this discussion. You have one company that builds as many as it can, and another that has tempered production to maintain momentum. The number of people with 100K to buy and 12K to feed these beasts is finite. I think the TRX has tapped its market pretty hard and it will be difficult to maintain so the prices are bound to go down. Raptors have been harder to come by and so the demand stays artificially high in relation to MSRP. Less teams want fullbacks and all that could afford them and wanted one most likely have one. More people want half backs, and teams are looking to find good ones how ever they can. Both are good for what they can do.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can all thank the TRX for coming out with the linked rear end, otherwise the Raptor definitely would still be leaf springs. Same can be said about the Raptor R coming to fruition, wouldn't have happened with out Fiat.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an order for a TRX at 4% below invoice and passed. It was pretty loaded and still $89k. I'd rather have the Raptor even if it's slower. I'll take the lighter feel, better looks and mpg's... until I get an R that is.