With the price of TRx, why are folks paying ADM for raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not close to true here. No such thing as an MSRP Raptor around here and there are TRX at or under MSRP on most lots. Mark Dodge is an hour from here and selling for 11k under MSRP.

Another thing to mention is that they are actually on the lots, unlike g3 Raptors.
You're exactly right about that one, I live in LC and I stop by every once in awhile to see what they have. And they always seem to have 1 or 2 used ones also. I think 8-10 mpg plays a big role in their msrp or less price range too.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol anyone who has to trade a truck in because of gas alone shouldn't own a Raptor or TRX.
Normally I’d pile on w/ this statement…but when you’re talking about an 8-10/12-14 mpg rating city/hwy & $4.50-$5/gallon 93 octane that’s a legit concern depending on how you drive. Could be costing you an extra $2-$3k in fuel alone….or break it down like this, equivalent to an extra $200+/month

So if you owned both trucks outright it’d be like carrying an extra monthly payment driving a TRX over a Raptor. Is it worth it?

Def a concern/something to consider unless you got unlimited $$$ in which case…..drive a lambo

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The Raptor has an actual pedigree of off-road racing. The TRX has nothing other than a bigger engine. Until the TRX actually does some real off-road like Baja it’s just another “me too” effort that really isn’t.

All it says is “mine’s bigger than yours and costs more”. That’s quite enough for the Neanderthals that buy into the dodge crap anyway.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I’d pile on w/ this statement…but when you’re talking about an 8-10/12-14 mpg rating city/hwy & $4.50-$5/gallon 93 octane that’s a legit concern depending on how you drive. Could be costing you an extra $2-$3k in fuel alone….or break it down like this, equivalent to an extra $200+/month

So if you owned both trucks outright it’d be like carrying an extra monthly payment driving a TRX over a Raptor. Is it worth it?

Def a concern/something to consider unless you got unlimited $$$ in which case…..drive a lambo
I guess I just look at it like you're spending 80-90k and either truck isn't getting amazing mileage. If a Raptor averages 14mpg and drives 12k miles a year at $5/gallon, thats $357 a month in fuel while a TRX averaging 11 mpg would be $454 a month.

If someone is buying a vehicle at this price point and that extra $100 a month breaks them, they should reconsider whether either truck is a good fit for their financial situation.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know why you think the trx is selling under msrp and it really depends on what options are on it. My coworker managed to get one but is paying over 100k for hers. I think msrp is $69k-$94k

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I just look at it like you're spending 80-90k and either truck isn't getting amazing mileage. If a Raptor averages 14mpg and drives 12k miles a year at $5/gallon, thats $357 a month in fuel while a TRX averaging 11 mpg would be $454 a month.

If someone is buying a vehicle at this price point and that extra $100 a month breaks them, they should reconsider whether either truck is a good fit for their financial situation.

Does it have to "break them" to sway their choice? Another way to say this would be:

The Raptor's total cost of ownership in a year including fuel is less than just the TRX fuel cost, as that extra $1200/yr will cover all your other costs.

Bigtrim

Reaction score
I think we are also missing the point about simple supply and demand. Why do Rolex watches increase in value while Timex watches becomes worthless? It has to do with having something others really want that is in short supply. If you look at the number of Gen 3 Raptors put on the market compared to TRXs, you will see there are fewer Raptors and higher demand. I am paying high dollars for a Raptor R because they are only making a limited run in 2023. Look at what the bourbon market is doing with their limited runs and you will see why a bottle of Papy Van Winkle is $8000 when there are better-tasting bourbons on the market.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have to "break them" to sway their choice? Another way to say this would be:

The Raptor's total cost of ownership in a year including fuel is less than just the TRX fuel cost, as that extra $1200/yr will cover all your other costs.
Oh you're 100% right it could sway their choice between the trucks and doesn't mean it breaks them.

The original conversation started because someone referenced their friend selling the TRX because the cost did break them. For that case, the person likely shouldn't be purchasing either truck.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People don't perceive the motor to be enough of an improvement over everything else the Raptor has going for it so the demand isn't as great. Reviewers can say all they want about the powertrains - what matters is what people are actually buying.