With the price of TRx, why are folks paying ADM for raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree w/ what another poster said I wouldn’t buy ANYTHING I didn’t absolutely NEED right at this moment. While people will say “if you can afford a Raptor or TRX you shouldn’t have to worry about MPGs” & im not so sure that’s true. For starters….the TRX’s abysmal gas mileage + the small tank + the heavy weight + the sweet exhaust note = having to fill up quite often which is a pita on road, but off-road is a legit concern if you’re overlanding/multiple days out etc.

I have a friend/industry colleague w/ one & doing the same kinda driving as me around town locally it’s 10 vs 14.5 & on the highway it’s 13-14 vs 17-20, that’s not insignificant, throw in the 36 gallon Raptor fuel tank & it’s something to think about.

Everyone who is familiar w/ Ford EB engines & the gen2 Raptors knows that a substantial amount of the performance gap between a TRX & a Raptor can be nullified or really essentially matched w/ a tune & a few bolt ons & that’s w/o really hurting the inherently better gas mileage too. Many potential gen3 buyers know this & will wait patiently for a tune to be brought to market.

If you wanna keep the truck a long time the Raptor is an entirely aluminum body….much more corrosion resistant than the TRX which still has a lot of steel panels, while it’s not really a thought for many buyers….you know what other kinda vehicles boast an all aluminum body? Range rovers, Aston martins, Shelby cobras, Audi A8/R8, Ferrari F12, Jaguar XJ, Lamborghini, many Mercedes’ models etc. the fact that Ford is the only mass production domestic auto maker producing a bunch of vehicles w/ all aluminum construction is pretty impressive & it often gets forgotten when discussing a vehicles attributes & making a comparison.

The shocks are larger while the truck is lighter, the sidewalls are thicker on the 35” & obviously the 37” Raptor even more so = for sure better ride on & offroad.

Resale value/price retention

Simply exterior design…I personally think the Gen3 is not as good looking as a Gen2, but I think compared to a TRX it’s still a more aggressive design. The TRX has a much nicer interior than a gen2 Raptor but the gap has shrunk considerably w/ the gen3.

Lots of reasons I can think of

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are countless debates about which truck is better but that's not what the question is.

The TRX is selling with an ADM just like the Raptor is in almost every market but the reason some dealers can offer discounts is because there isn't an allocation issue like the Raptor has. Ram is making as many TRX's as they can while Ford still isn't doing the same with Raptors. Ford has done a great job keeping the demand high by limiting allocations but that impacts the consumer.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there’s a few reasons:
-Stellantis was less affected by chip / part shortages.
-TRX has been out longer.
-Slightly different dealer model. I can’t find the article explaining the difference but Stellantis has a different retail order system and basically will build it if there is an order. Ford has only just now started doing a retail reservation system (not yet on Raptors) - at least for now we are at the mercy of them providing allocations to dealers based on individual or region performance. I think that causes inefficiencies for consumers but is more fair to dealers (all Ford really cares about).

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply exterior design…I personally think the Gen3 is not as good looking as a Gen2, but I think compared to a TRX it’s still a more aggressive design. The TRX has a much nicer interior than a gen2 Raptor but the gap has shrunk considerably w/ the gen3.

I find it interesting how many people like the TRX interior better than the Raptor. Personally I think it's the thing that really, horribly lets the TRX down. I think it's ugly on the outside too, but the interior? Awful. It's got that "trying to be modern but look like a vintage american muscle car" styling, which just doesn't work and ends up looking cheap. The F150 in general looks more sophisticated and generally pleasant to be in.

I will say the TRX has better interior lighting, but it kind of has to, because otherwise you'd realize you're in a plush leather coffin.

Just way too much like the apartment furnishings of the 50 year old recently divorced guy who had to move out on his own.

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly. Because it’s a dodge. That’s why
I mean, it really is that simple.

I owned a fantastic 98 Cummins that couldn't be killed. But that company died a horrible death at the hands of Fiat. Literally every friend I have with a Ram has had problems before 50k. No way I'm gambling on a "performance" Fiat.

On the flip side, I've owned six Fords--F150 through F350 6.7's and never once had a serious issue until I sold them at 100k. Minor issues have even been few and far between.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, my wife loves seeing the outside temp, but with carplay you don't get that.
Really? That's surprising because my '21 Edge shows the outside temp at the top of the big screen, even when CarPlay is active. Why would they change that on the trucks?

Attachments

• tempImagejwZPIz.png
    tempImagejwZPIz.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

skerzz

Reaction score
I would be considering a Raptor if there weren't plenty of unreasonable items on my wish list. I will probably do some aftermarket stuff to my G2 that are completely unreasonable but not as costly, in order to help satisfy my need for unreasonable purchases.

The be honest though, I don't think the auto market is going to get better any time soon. Supply of parts and chips will get better, but the industry has taken the opportunity to exert control over supply of vehicles and keep prices at or above MSRP. The days of invoice deals to clear the lot are over. And that's not even factoring inflation.

No, I think my days of buying new vehicles may be at an end. Used was always a better deal than new, but when you can't even get serious discounts on new vehicles anymore, used looks even better.
You must not be very familiar with the auto dealer industry. Things will slow and dealers will be forced to take stock from manufacturers in order to keep their dealer license and/or allocations of profitable/highly desirable units. Guess what happens when dealers are forced to take stock of cars, which are costing the dealer money with dealer floor plan financing, and inventory backs up?