Winter Driving and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
I thought KO2s were snow rated. I ran them on my Jeeps because they were so good in snow in Colorado. But in Texas I haven’t experienced the phenomenon of “snow” yet. Good thing, too, because Texans can’t even drive in rain.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a trend here. It seems as if the snow on the west side of the country is different than the snow on the east side of the country. I really feel that that’s a significant factor in terms of how good the stock tires are in different types of snow.

richm

Reaction score
I bought Gen 1 6.2 new in 2010. The KO's and KO2 have worked well for GOING, but not for stopping. it's a 6000lb truck so on ice it just slides. I finally broke down this winter and put on the studded version of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! We had a heavy snow last weekend with a layer of ice underneath--no issues. A lot melted that day and refroze overnight leaving some nasty black ice. Again no issues. If you push it, it will still slide, but the hill I live on with a stop sign at the bottom is no longer an issue. I only wish I had put these on years ago.

BobbyP33

Reaction score
I guess there could always be better grip but in my opinion, it doesnt get much better than a raptor in the snow. I pulled a 30ft snowmobile trailer 550 miles home from Maine last week in the middle of one hell of a snowstorm. My buddy in a dodge on 20s was hanging way back. I didnt feel like I needed anything further. The tires are wide but I think the BFGs do pretty good in the snow. Most guys I know go out of their way to run them all year long, they even have the actual snowflake rating. Nothing will compete with studs but unless you are in Alaska or somewhere extremely remote, I feel like that may be overdoing it. A lot of people like the duratracs, I run those on a 4runner and they are nice in snow. To each their own though - studs would be like driving on pavement :) - the downfall is the cost, changing them on and off and listening to them hum 98% of the time without snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a trend here. It seems as if the snow on the west side of the country is different than the snow on the east side of the country. I really feel that that’s a significant factor in terms of how good the stock tires are in different types of snow.

Roads in general vary too. At Raptor Assault I was able to punch it in 2wd Sport mode on a soggy road and have full grip - in Texas, I can't even do that on dry roads in Normal, let alone wet roads. Hence why I laugh when people say the KO2s are good in wet conditions.

As far as snow goes, Twangandbang did a great video on how different ice and snow is for southern states, due to the average road temperature affecting how the compounding changes. Essentially, the higher average temperature for warmer areas causes a lot more black ice, which is problematic to drive on, no matter skill level. Areas that are normally colder get more compaction of snow, which provides a lot more traction.

We actually run the KM3 mud terrain and they are much nicer in snow and ice than the KM2s I have on my bronco. I think there is a lot to be said for learning to drive your vehicle in weather and learning it’s weaknesses. Plus there is a weather mode that makes our 605hp truck feel like a sheepish and careful 4Runner so use the technology to help out when necessary. That’s what it’s for right?

Weather mode is easy mode, makes slippery conditions trivial, no matter how bad your tires are. Highly recommend using it as applicable, or at least 4A. Still, it is embarrassing sliding around like you are on ice if you try 2H on wet roads.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a chance to Baja in some deeper snow today and the KO2s did a great job. Next time, I would lower the tire pressure from 38psi. They gripped real well and kicked up a huge cloud of powder.

I’d like to try Hakka LTs in deep snow but I remember Hakka Rs were only pretty good in deep snow. On hard packed snow and ice, Hakkas would be hard to beat. The KO2s are not bad on hard pack/ice.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At Raptor Assault I was able to punch it in 2wd Sport mode on a soggy road and have full grip - in Texas, I can't even do that on dry roads in Normal, let alone wet roads. Hence why I laugh when people say the KO2s are good in wet conditions.

Part of that is the difference in altitude. Tooele is almost a mile high elevation where you’re down ~12% power compared to sea level.

PBR ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my 911 TurboS with snow tires when it’s ****** out, unless it’s deep, and in that case the Raptor does better. But the low cg, rear weight bias, and awd with snows on the Porsche is hard to beat in up to about 4inchs of snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk