Why 8,200 lbs tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Raptor37

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i think most of us just want to able to tow without the dreaded sag and be safe doing so. I've done airbags on every HD truck i've owned to keep the truck level when towing. I don't get near the limit of the truck's GVWR but it certainly tows better. I for one am thinking a bag could fit inside the spring or even easier would be to swap out to a tad heavier spring rate. I'll pull one of mine this fall to measure it. I swap springs out on all my offroad vehicles and track cars. I'm talking just going up 50-75 lbs, nothing major.
I am looking at this too. I will be taking measurements when it shows up but I beleive by looking at the pictures that I can fabricate a bracket to replace the OEM bump stop and find a Firestone long travel airbag that fits that void. I will definitely send pictures if/when I undertake this. I will probably be doing it within the first six month's of ownership.

IF it works the way I am planning, I beleive I will sacrifice ZERO off road ride quality but add a bunch to on road towing safety and quality. I will be able to drain the bags to 1 PSI for serious off road but put them back to 5 psi when on road without weight. Of course add enough psi when towing to accommodate the unweighted ride height...

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a thread on here somewhere about using airbags. It works for many and some say it limited articulation some. So it comes down to what is most important for you with your needs. I remember someone using Daystar cradles with the bags to much success.
Yeah I've seen those work on a Gen 2. I'm sure it will take then awhile to make something fit a gen 3. I don't tow much or very heavy but these trucks make fantastic dailies and do pretty much everything you'd want out of a 1/2 ton. I've owned 2 Gen 1s, a Gen 2 and have 2 Gen 3's on order and i use these trucks as they were meant to be used but also like to tow SxSs and cars with them.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at this too. I will be taking measurements when it shows up but I beleive by looking at the pictures that I can fabricate a bracket to replace the OEM bump stop and find a Firestone long travel airbag that fits that void. I will definitely send pictures if/when I undertake this. I will probably be doing it within the first six month's of ownership.

IF it works the way I am planning, I beleive I will sacrifice ZERO off road ride quality but add a bunch to on road towing safety and quality. I will be able to drain the bags to 1 PSI for serious off road but put them back to 5 psi when on road without weight. Of course add enough psi when towing to accommodate the unweighted ride height...
Awesome, i'll work with you on this if mine comes in first.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen those work on a Gen 2. I'm sure it will take then awhile to make something fit a gen 3. I don't tow much or very heavy but these trucks make fantastic dailies and do pretty much everything you'd want out of a 1/2 ton. I've owned 2 Gen 1s, a Gen 2 and have 2 Gen 3's on order and i use these trucks as they were meant to be used but also like to tow SxSs and cars with them.
Yea true. Using bags in coils has been around for years. But going this route on Gen 3 with those long flexible coils wouldn’t be a good idea. The bump stop method may be a simple work around. I’m sure the aftermarket will make brackets to work elsewhere eventually.

koyojo

Reaction score
@K223 I need to look at hummer and see if it done through air bags or air springs.

The mountain bikes can adjust from 140# rider to a 230#. The set up between them is annoying and tedious, but It can be done, for each rider the suspension performs great. When you flip the riders without the suspension, terrible. I would expect the same from the truck. The difference is the truck could probably have a high pressure compressor to adjust them quickly.

Even if not toying, 1400# of payload isn’t a lot. If you overland or have a RTT, probably not too far off once loaded.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my truck without a sunroof and the 2kw power option or power tailgate specifically to save weight and increase payload.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered my truck without a sunroof and the 2kw power option or power tailgate specifically to save weight and increase payload.
Less weight, less money spent and less to break. Makes sense especially if you won’t use them.

OP
OP
Raptor37

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I ordered all of that because I wanted my creature comforts and I am spoiled. M problem to solve is I have a Travel Trailer with a 700-775lb tongue weight and 7700lb overall that I like to take on a trip 2-4 times a year (some not too far but others maybe 500-700 miles). Reason I will be fabricating an airbag system ASAP for piece of mind.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score