Anyone tow with their Gen 3 yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metallikatz3

Reaction score
Has anyone done any towing with their Gen 3 yet? I've got a new Raptor on order and part of the reason for the Raptor is to tow my travel trailer. Currently towing with a 2017 Tacoma that struggles a bit.

Dry weight is 4000lbs with a 480lb tongue weight (yes I have a WDH) so I'm hoping that at roughly half the Raptor's tow rating it will still do just fine.

Anyone have any feedback about how the new rear suspension set-up handles trailers or additional weight?

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hasn't arrived yet but I'll be towing my 2 UTVs on an aluminum trailer. My gen2 did fine after adding the +3 HD leafs, hoping this truck will work fine out the box.
Here's my current setup, way overkill for what's i'm towing.

2021-04-24 07.09.36.jpg

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptors aren’t the best tow vehicles but you should be fine with a small travel trailer. I towed a 3600 pound lightweight camper with a Gen1 without issue. Just be mindful that you are taking a big bite out of the payload capacity with nearly 500 pounds of tongue weight. You run the risk of overloading the rear suspension if you put too much junk in the bed and cab.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done any towing with their Gen 3 yet? I've got a new Raptor on order and part of the reason for the Raptor is to tow my travel trailer. Currently towing with a 2017 Tacoma that struggles a bit.

Dry weight is 4000lbs with a 480lb tongue weight (yes I have a WDH) so I'm hoping that at roughly half the Raptor's tow rating it will still do just fine.

Anyone have any feedback about how the new rear suspension set-up handles trailers or additional weight?
I will be taking my boat out in a few weeks. My boat on the trailer sits around 6,000lb. I am planning on adding Timbren bump stops to the rear to help. Hopefully the new suspension improves prevents a little bit of the sag.

poppakap

Reaction score
It's a 24' Sundowner. I've owned 4 aluminum trailers so far, this is the best and they made it for me custom in 6 weeks during COVID times.
Oh nice. Great brand. Was looking at Aluma. I’ll see what sundowner can do

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh nice. Great brand. Was looking at Aluma. I’ll see what sundowner can do
Can't go wrong there either, i had one built back in 2019 but needed something a bit longer and Aluma couldn't build anything for me quickly. Any aluminum open trailer from a reputable manufacturer will last forever and hold it's value. Mine carries UTVs and my track cars.

Major brain fart, that's my Aluma pictured...the one below is my Sundowner.