Popping noise when turning on incline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I’ve gotten all four shocks replaced everything was seeming to be fixed, that is until I recently started experiencing a weird popping noise when turning on an incline. When I pull into drive ways that are inclined and the body/bed flex I get an audible popping noise like a bolt wasnt tightened properly or a stabilizer is popping out of place.

I took it to the dealer yesterday to get two recalls done and had them diagnose this and they think they found the issue but it’s not fixable. According to them they believe it’s coming from a Aluminum crossmember where the bed connects to the frame but the foreman tightened everything and checked for any damage (none found) but it’s still making the noise. My service advisor said the only fix they can think of is replacing the entire bed but even then they’re not sure it would stop making the noise. They also aren’t willing to even consider submitting the repair to warranty because they think warranty will laugh at them wanting to fix something that isn’t broken or incorrectly installed.

I called ford customer care and they recommended bringing it to another dealer, which I’m going to schedule but I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, NOT a clunking from the suspension but a popping noise when the body rolls.

I found a TSB that explains the noise I’m hearing but it’s specific to F150s that aren’t the Raptor and the only fix they found was to lube the leaf springs, something we obviously can’t do.

“ Pop/Clunk/Snap Noise From The Rear Of Vehicle When Driving Up/Down An Incline At An Angle – 2021 Ford F-150

NHTSA ID Number: 10215718

Manufacturer Communication Number: TSB 22-2283

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 21-2253 to update the vehicle lines affected. Some 2021 F-150(non-Raptor/non-Tremor) vehicles with rear gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of 1542 kg (3,400 lb) or 1724 kg (3,800 lb) shown on the vehicle certification (VC) label may experience a pop/clunk/snap noise from the rear of vehicle when driving up/down an incline at an angle (frame twist). This approach angle would be similar to entering or leaving a driveway. This may be due to movement between the rear spring and the rear spring mounting plate on the rear axle. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to apply lubrication between the rear spring and the rear spring mounting plate mating surfaces on the rear axle.”

Hoping someone else might have experienced this here and found a fix that’s not replacing the entire bed.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is bizarre. My first thought when I read turning on an incline was a worn CV since they make popping and clicking noises when turning while flexed. Coming from the interface between the bed and frame would indicate small amounts of slip due to the bed not wanting to twist with the frame. Not something I’d really expect someone to run into since beds aren’t they rigid. Have seen fine dust trapped between surfaces at a bolted interface to cause noise before, but not on a truck bed. Could try lifting the bed up and cleaning all contact points with the frame really well.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also occurs when I’m driving in reverse with the wheel turned to the right and come to a stop. I’ve had CV joints go before and this sounds more like a bed bolt is loose allowing the bed to shift slightly but everything was tightened down confirming it not to be the case.

Ford wanted to tell me it was normal operation for the vehicle but there’s no way since it just started happening after I got my rear shocks replaced at 11k miles. Then they suggested a second opinion which I’m scheduling.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It also occurs when I’m driving in reverse with the wheel turned to the right and come to a stop. I’ve had CV joints go before and this sounds more like a bed bolt is loose allowing the bed to shift slightly but everything was tightened down confirming it not to be the case.

Ford wanted to tell me it was normal operation for the vehicle but there’s no way since it just started happening after I got my rear shocks replaced at 11k miles. Then they suggested a second opinion which I’m scheduling.
If it only happened after shock replacement it’s almost definitely related. The noise is most likely originating from a suspension component and the aluminum crossmember is the reactor that the noise is transferring into. I would request that all of the shocks fasteners be loosened and re-torqued to spec. Note that the front lower shock bolt needs to be torqued with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only happened after shock replacement it’s almost definitely related. The noise is most likely originating from a suspension component and the aluminum crossmember is the reactor that the noise is transferring into. I would request that all of the shocks fasteners be loosened and re-torqued to spec. Note that the front lower shock bolt needs to be torqued with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension.
I’ll have the next dealer give that a try, not going back to the same one given how they reacted to this issue. They seemed mad that it took the foreman 6hrs to figure out what he thought was the issue but were only going to get paid for .5hrs of warranty work. They kept saying that’s not my fault but we’re also alluding to that being the cause for not wanting to look any further into the issue.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second dealer ended up figuring it out. It was the bed bolts needing to be replaced. They never replaced them when they did the spray in liner and the bed bolts are one time use. Once they replaced them my rear end no longer creaks. Well it technically still does but only when I eat carbs.