Why 8,200 lbs tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes the soft suspension is the limiter. That’s why the Gen 2 guys that tow all went to aftermarket leafs.
The brakes are meant to be softer for off roading- (left foot braking while driving).

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind it's only rated to tow 8k if you are using a weight distribution hitch. If not, I believe it's only rated at 5k. I occasionally tow a car hauler that is between 5k-6k depending on the vehicle on it. The suspension squats so much I honestly wouldn't even feel safe towing that trailer without the wd hitch. It tows great with the wd hitch though and has plenty of power. The brakes are fine as well but I'd definitely want brakes on both axles of the trailer also if over 4k lbs. We take I-70 through Colorado which has a pretty significant grade and it tows great. It sure does drink the premium fuel with a load behind it going through the mountains though.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People who are uneducated about the Raptor think it’s a one in all and do all super truck. It’s a purpose built
Baja/off-road super truck, that the manufacturer also had to outfit it well enough to be used on the street.

Questions like why does it come with dinky little 17” wheels like years ago and not 20’s are a clue, that someone doesn’t know what the truck is about lol

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a 23' Airstream with my 2019 Raptor across 4 states from CA to WY. The trailer weighs about 6,000 lbs full, tongue weight around 650 lbs which is well below the truck's capabilities. The truck's tail end was sagging like 80 year old **** and as a result the steering was mushy, and going uphill for extended periods caused the engine to slightly overheat. Maybe if I had installed airbags in the rear suspension, it would have been better. But I now know why it isn't made for towing.

Rapturd

Reaction score
I tow my 23ft Airstream as well with my 2013 screw. It's basically stock and I don't have any issues. I use wd hitch. I love using it for towing, if used within its limits. No overheating going uphill, steering always feels "mushy" to me. I only tow at 55mph-65mph on highways. Its a beautiful looking tow setup. The brakes have always sucked so that leaves much to be desired. I fixed that thanks to Alcon.

OP
OP
Raptor37

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a damn BAJA truck not a 250 Superduty.
Yes, that's obviously understood in the name Raptor and everything that comes with that. Thats why I was asking about the 8,200 lbs and not the 15.5k+ that an F250 is rated for on bumper pull...

I was simply trying to see if there was anything else I was missing besides the softer suspension with the change between F150 standard and Raptor.

OP
OP
Raptor37

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People who are uneducated about the Raptor think it’s a one in all and do all super truck. It’s a purpose built
Baja/off-road super truck, that the manufacturer also had to outfit it well enough to be used on the street.

Questions like why does it come with dinky little 17” wheels like years ago and not 20’s are a clue, that someone doesn’t know what the truck is about lol
Its not like the Raptor is some unknown secret that people dont know about. It's been around for over a decade and people know it's a baja built truck. Asking about the tow difference to see if there is an additional reason besides the rear suspension is different than the obvious understanding that smaller wheels and more rubber is advantages for off-road use...

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From MT: "That's not to say that the Raptor isn't a competent tow rig, rather that Ford has been required by the standards to which they test towing ability to rate the Raptor lower than its F-150 brethren because of the truck's soft suspension, taller ride height, and large tires."

I never understood why the crew cab tows more than the super cab.. same motor same suspension... I don't get it ???

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its not like the Raptor is some unknown secret that people dont know about. It's been around for over a decade and people know it's a baja built truck. Asking about the tow difference to see if there is an additional reason besides the rear suspension is different than the obvious understanding that smaller wheels and more rubber is advantages for off-road use...
You may very well know. But you would be surprised on how many don’t. The response did not pertain to you. I can see and understand your question. Yes it’s basically about the suspension this truck has. Otherwise everything else meets or exceeds the F-150. However 2WD trucks generally get a little more tow rating.