Why 8,200 lbs tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Raptor37

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, I haven’t been to this forum in almost a year and it’s great to see nothing has changed. Meat sticks talking about how “people just don’t understand the SUPERTRUCK” anytime it fails at being an actual truck.

Ive owned mine for about 2 years now and it will be sold as soon as I’m not upside down on it. The payload and towing capacity is a real problem that makes this full sized super crew “truck” useless. It fails at more things than it’s good at.

Here come all the nauseating replies …”shoulda bought a F250 blahhhhh.” My personal favorite is the ever so pompous “you bought a specialized vehicle, you don’t understand the purpose” (I just puked on my shoe typing that.) These dbags completely ignore the fact that their wife’s Sudan sitting next to the 20’x7.5’ crew cab has a higher payload. Put the family and a cooler in the truck to go to the beach and you have to leave the dog at the house. This thing is a pavement princess that can’t be used as an actual truck. Want to take it off-road? Better remove the spare tire so you can afford the weight of your gear. That’s practical!! Open the flood gates…
All very valid points!

All I can say is, meh, fabricate a set of long travel air bags to use for heavier than payload amounts and bingo. You now have an on/off road truck that can actually do F150 things.

Trust me, I am coming from the Superduty world (have owned three) I even had a full CARLI built one I just sold before putting this Gen3 on order (reference picture). Superduty's are the complete opposite, great for towing but a PITA for daily driving and off/road due to size.

Attachments

• 20210719_134825.jpg
    20210719_134825.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210719_134807.jpg
    20210719_134807.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 28

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look at your sticker. Along with GVWR, there's a maximum load rating for each axle. You can only load to GVWR if the weight is fairly evenly distributed. For example, if I take your example to an extreme, imagine a trailer with a 1200lb tongue weight plus you in the driver's seat. It won't ride well.

And 1400lb might be too high. Do you have a sunroof? The sticker, on your truck is the spec, not the "maximum" from the published specs, which typically assumes a stripped truck

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here come all the nauseating replies …”shoulda bought a F250 blahhhhh.” My personal favorite is the ever so pompous “you bought a specialized vehicle, you don’t understand the purpose” (I just puked on my shoe typing that.):upyours:
At least us meatsticks are smart enough to read the spec sheet before dropping $70k. I'm happy to see that your favorite is also the correct answer. Better run and get your other shoe now ...

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
At least us meatsticks are smart enough to read the spec sheet before dropping $70k. I'm happy to see that your favorite is also the correct answer. Better run and get your other shoe now ...
You sir are meat on a stick. Congrats

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford rates it as they deem fit, plain and simple.

There is a SAE towing standard now, but still- they essentially rate it wherever they want, the SAE just keeps diff manufacturers on a level playing field with the ratings.

They don't need to sell baja-style suspension versions of the F150s with huge tow ratings, so they don't.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol, I haven’t been to this forum in almost a year and it’s great to see nothing has changed. Meat sticks talking about how “people just don’t understand the SUPERTRUCK” anytime it fails at being an actual truck.

Ive owned mine for about 2 years now and it will be sold as soon as I’m not upside down on it. The payload and towing capacity is a real problem that makes this full sized super crew “truck” useless. It fails at more things than it’s good at.

Here come all the nauseating replies …”shoulda bought a F250 blahhhhh.” My personal favorite is the ever so pompous “you bought a specialized vehicle, you don’t understand the purpose” (I just puked on my shoe typing that.) These dbags completely ignore the fact that their wife’s Sudan sitting next to the 20’x7.5’ crew cab has a higher payload. Put the family and a cooler in the truck to go to the beach and you have to leave the dog at the house. This thing is a pavement princess that can’t be used as an actual truck. Want to take it off-road? Better remove the spare tire so you can afford the weight of your gear. That’s practical!! Open the flood gates…:upyours:
Too bad you didn’t stay away longer, all you’re doing is ranting. The truck’s payload and towing ratings are clearly published; if you didn’t look into that before purchasing, that’s your own fault.

I use my Raptor as a “truck” and it does everything I need it to do, including hauling building supplies, towing a car trailer, towing boats, etc. And it does all of that while riding smoothly, comfortably seating 5 people, and having the capability to tackle any off road situation. There is no “fail” in that, the only “fail” here is you buying a Raptor and expecting a Super Duty.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Here come all the nauseating replies …”shoulda bought a F250 blahhhhh.” My personal favorite is the ever so pompous “you bought a specialized vehicle, you don’t understand the purpose” (I just puked on my shoe typing that.) These dbags completely ignore the fact that their wife’s Sudan sitting next to the 20’x7.5’ crew cab has a higher payload. Put the family and a cooler in the truck to go to the beach and you have to leave the dog at the house. This thing is a pavement princess that can’t be used as an actual truck. Want to take it off-road? Better remove the spare tire so you can afford the weight of your gear. That’s practical!! Open the flood gates…:upyours:
If you are so pedantic that your remove your spare tire to stay within payload limits when going to the lake, you should definitely not own a Raptor.

perry

Reaction score
this is not entirely true, trailer tow does not increase with truck length. fords ratings do not support that argument. 4251E6B4-182F-4BA5-94F9-7C054946551C.jpeg
Some of you need to educate yourselves on how towing specs are produced.
Prior to about 2010 towing specs were purely on the whim of the manufacturer. And if the corporate lawyers signed off on a Ford Ranger towing 100,000 lbs then no one would argue. (Obviously I am being a smart ***, but you get the point I hope).

Around 2010 it was agreed upon that there would be a standardized rating system.

Engine power is only 1/3rd the issue. Trailer control/Suspension is a huge part.

The vehicle is tested towing its max rating and has to do an evasive steering maneuve

The reason the super crew can tow more than the super cab is the same reason. Longer wheel base gives it more control.

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
If you are so pedantic that your remove your spare tire to stay within payload limits when going to the lake, you should definitely not own a Raptor.
Yes, and I actually leave the dog home too. I bet you're fun at parties.