Who would like a factory tuned Raptor or perhaps an over the air tune purchased through ford?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford’s answer to the TRX is the most pathetic, flat footed response possible. I don’t think they could have done a better job of telling the 2 Gen guys to go buy a TRX if they tried.
I didn’t know that Ford was obligated to “answer” to anything? My gen 2 didn’t get slower the day the TRX came out, and it’s still faster in the desert.

And the gen 3 is the fastest of the three off pavement.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know that Ford was obligated to “answer” to anything? My gen 2 didn’t get slower the day the TRX came out, and it’s still faster in the desert.

And the gen 3 is the fastest of the three off pavement.
That’s how basic competition works in business. I have loved almost everything on my Gen 2 since I had it, but since the TRX came out, I now have an option that would give me what Ford couldn’t, the glorious sound and power of the awesome SC V8.

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely want more power with a warranty, that is IF Ford ever actually builds me a raptor. Waiting since June 2021 and now looks like Q1 2022 is my best hope IF the Raptor selection committee picks me, until then stay quiet, stand in line and have your money ready...

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. Hate to be a bubble burster, but you will be waiting a long time for a Ford tune. That would have came for Gen 2’s long ago as you can see, they offer this for some of the Mustangs already. Ford said they already retuned the Gen 3 for more power to be delivered earlier and lower down, as the linked rear can better utilize the power. So durability isn’t the issue as so many previously Gen 2’s that have been tuned are not breaking drive train parts. And this tune is a lot more power than Ford would even come close to giving you.

Now will model year ‘23 the refresh year offer a power bump from factory? Curious.

I would guess leaving room for improvement, a version of planned obsolesce, is a part of the reason. You can add power to the vehicle in future model years without any major costs. Why add power now if you don't think it will increase sales?

I also would guess that Ford has additional costs to consider that aftermarket tune companies. The factory warranty is just one consideration. In the same way that the 37 package requires some other changes, it also has to be separately tested by the EPA. I'm guessing that's for every software tune, but surely that's the case if you're offering an upgraded IC or turbos. Aftermarket tuners don't have to do the same level of testing. Maybe there's an exception, if Ford sells these products only after the initial sale, don't know...but it would certainly look like Ford was attempting to get around government regulations. I have no idea how that happens with the Mustang tunes.

And there's another point, CAFE standards. A tune would likely lower the MPG, correct? Would they bypass that if it was aftermarket only? And I'm guessing Tesla can get away with OTA tuning upgrades because they are electric.

I'm not against it, I'm just doubtful it will happen. Although perhaps Ford can do more for the Raptor if they sell more lightnings and other EVs, improving CAFE for the fleet and letting them make more gas guzzlers. Maybe one day you will just buy the base vehicle and be able to purchase additional drive modes OTA to get a new tune, whether that be from Ford or somewhere else. Maybe it'll be a subscription service. :rolleyes:

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if Ford is gonna issue the tune wouldn't they have to pay to go through carb cert and such all over again? Things like that are why I see this as doubtful. If they did it I feel like the tune would cost at least double compared to aftermarket and still probably not perform as well but that whole warranty trade off thing

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s how basic competition works in business. I have loved almost everything on my Gen 2 since I had it, but since the TRX came out, I now have an option that would give me what Ford couldn’t, the glorious sound and power of the awesome SC V8.
That’s my point, Ford can compete in any way they choose that ultimately results in a superior product, which the Gen 3 certainly is. Being competitive doesn’t mean you need to deliver an identical product.

I don’t see Porsche feeling compelled with the 911 to “compete” with the ZR1, Z06, etc.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s my point, Ford can compete in any way they choose that ultimately results in a superior product, which the Gen 3 certainly is. Being competitive doesn’t mean you need to deliver an identical product.

I don’t see Porsche feeling compelled with the 911 to “compete” with the ZR1, Z06, etc.
I see your point, but do you think Ford is happy about so many Raptor guys trading them (I’m about to be one of them) for a TRX instead of a Gen 3 Raptor? I don’t think I would be satisfied if I was a Ford exec in charge of Raptor development in any way. But that’s just me.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since they already offer this with the Ranger, isn't it just a matter of time? I can see the HO engines being left out though, and offering a tune for the 2.7 and standard 3.5 that is conservative at the very least. I guess we will, wouldn't be ground breaking though.