Whipple Gen 4 install w/ JDM 650HP upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, was in the middle of installing the intercooler hoses and realized that Whipple didn’t send the correct fittings. The long hose that connects to the driver’s side intercooler fitting at the rear of the manifold is suppose to have a 45 degree fitting that runs over the top of the 90 degree fitting running out of the passenger side port. Instead, I received a 90 degree for the driver side. There was another member on here that posted the exact same issue just a week ago.

Their directions leave a lot to be desired. It seems that most is correct, but since they have changed the reservoir and pump setup, they haven’t fully updated the directions. Even the pictures they have are outdated. Sucks that I have to waste half the day tomorrow before I can give them a call about this issue (since they’re on PST). I don’t believe that Afco has updated their hose setup for the new Whipple design either. For all the aggravation, I would have rather had the older design. Not sure why they even changed it in the first place. For an $8K kit, I would expect better quality control as far as making sure all hardware is correct. Hopefully they will offer to overnight the correct items to me.

82C22AC1-B24B-453C-BAD3-D17FF6A4BFF6.jpeg

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It almost feels like they just threw something together real quick. I’m thinking about offering to review and correct the entire manual for them in return for some free gear. I keep finding all kinds of typos. Whoever put the manual together either rushed it, or it was done by someone who knows nothing about the kit.

Called Afco Racing about the hoses not jiving with the new Whipple setup. Super nice guys! They weren’t even aware of the change, so I sent them some pics of it. Said they would update their setup. Guess I’ll be heading to a parts house to get more hose. I told the guy that Whipple apparently wasn’t aware of their own change either since they didn’t include correct parts, nor update their manual! Lol

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A8F4886E-28FA-4EE0-883B-BE96B9284D86.jpeg

BCEBE339-CEBA-4E6A-B5E6-7C0F5D20B815.jpeg Ended up not needing any additional hoses to get the h/e plumbed. Actually had a hose left over. Got lucky with it. I haven’t installed the output hose yet due to waiting on the correct hose from Whipple for the intercooler. Suppose to have it tomorrow via FedEx. Took all day of calling them to make it happen. Customer service post-sale, not so good.

Hope to get the blower and everything else put on tomorrow evening, then coolant and tune Friday evening.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this wire is for? The manual doesn’t explain this. It’s a single wire coming from the relay of the h/e pump wiring harness. Is it maybe for the fan version h/e?

2C624D0A-7E67-46F3-97B2-777193E3ACBD.jpeg

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My installer cursed them rear bolts as well during the install lol.

I left the pass side bolt too loose when I sat the blower on and it came out while trying to tighten it. Had to pull it back out a little and restart the bolt. Ended up getting it tight with a stubby ratchet wrench. Took around 2 hrs or so to do just the one. My left arm is cut all to pieces.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88FF44A4-B456-4A7D-9EE3-E5DE0E5B996A.jpeg EEB249E8-859C-4C6F-807F-5EE225BDCFF5.jpeg

Tomorrow evening I will begin with the TB. Fingers crossed, I will be able to fire it up and test drive it. This install has been a royal pain in the butt. If only my 3 yr old had patience, he would be under the hood tightening some of these bolts. His hands would fit much better than mine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter