Whipple Gen 4 install w/ JDM 650HP upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FEDC6345-5F48-4350-8F3C-0FEB9B84637F.jpeg 2EAD1944-D516-4983-AEF1-422AB058C762.jpeg DD34C58C-766B-4291-9A0C-2AB4562E2B3A.jpeg 6A1EEB36-5B2F-4B23-B9AB-12023E5E34DC.jpeg

It is all finished up except for final topping off of the coolants. Updated my SCT X4 last night since it hadn’t been done in a couple years. So I still have to load the tune and install my Aeroforce gauge, but all easy stuff compared to what I’ve been doing. I guess I need to go ahead and install the JLT catch can I have sitting here instead of waiting. Won’t have time tomorrow to work on it, but plan to have it out on the road Monday. Can’t wait!

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it fired up tonight. Sounds awesome under the hood! Just easing into the throttle while in park sounds good. My coolant temp came up to normal after a few minutes, however, it took forever for heat to start coming from the vents. I turned the defrost on to help circulate the coolant. Normally, when my temp gauge starts coming up, I start feeling heat. Any idea why this is going on? Could it have air pockets?

I plan to get some pics up tomorrow.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you use the 160 thermostat?
You'll need the 160 for the hot summer months but heat will take awhile. LOL

Don't worry about air pockets in the coolant system, as long as properly install the over flow tank and the hose is not hanging too low you will be good.
Air bubbles are lighter than water and will blow through the cap into the over flow tank, after a full throttle is the time this mostly happens.
When the engine cools it will suck antifreeze from the tank back into the radiator.
This can take a couple of days.
If you keep opening the cap when hot or warm, you introduce air into the radiator every time.
I've seen some posts were guys were driving themselves crazy thinking the air the system doesn't come out but I didn't want to get into it.

Have you looked into Heat Exchanger fans yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JDM advises to use the oem thermostat and said that’s what they have their tune setup around.

I’m gonna take it out today for a short trip, so I’ll see what it does. Just after a few minutes of idling down my road last night, I noticed the reservoir tank level had dropped about 1”, so I figured it had displaced an air pocket.

I’m not looking at h/e fans right now. I’ll see how it does after I drive it more for extended periods. I’m not ruling them out, just gonna wait and see how it does like it is.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove truck today into town. It’s about 20-30 mile round trip. Took it easy, but man does that blower whine. Not 100% loving the tune. All my previous tunes have been setup to hold gears longer than stock. Usually it won’t shift into 6th until I’m between 50-55mph. Keeps the tranny happier on slower, curvy country roads. The JDM tune lets it shift sooner and it kept hunting for the correct gear. I also noticed when cruising in 6th around 60-65mph, just the slightest increase in throttle resulted in a downshift. Seems to me that with a supercharger, you’d just make it hold the gear for slight increases and let the boost pull you along.

Since I didn’t get into yet, not sure how the power is. With normal easy driving, I would not know anything had been done to the engine, except for the tranny constantly shifting. The lower shifts are very nice, being quick and crisp without harshness. They do have that dialed in. Hopefully they won’t mind adjusting the 6th gear change. As much as their tunes cost, I would expect them to make changes that you aren’t happy with.

Going to drive it tomorrow on a little longer trip. I’ll get into it a little and see how it feels. Had a hard time trying to get the Aeroforce gauge set up. Never could get the IAT2 to read correctly. Tried a different setup after I got home. Hopefully tomorrow it will be worked out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does S&B make a filter wrap for these filters? I’d like to have one to help filter fine dust and help shed water off if it comes in contact.

Reaction score
awsome built.. but I would relocate the transmission cooler. Behind the intercooler is not good. And try to get a bigger radiator.

maybe you can put the transmission cooler under the intercooler and get some air plates to it.