Whipple Gen 4 install w/ JDM 650HP upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awsome built.. but I would relocate the transmission cooler. Behind the intercooler is not good. And try to get a bigger radiator.

maybe you can put the transmission cooler under the intercooler and get some air plates to it.

That’s a good idea! Do you know if anyone makes a relocation plate? I may have to get someone to fab one up. It looks to have room below the h/e near the large opening in the bumper.

Reaction score
I don't know if there is something you can buy. I am in Germany and I worked for a corvette tuner some years ago. We were facing a lot of temperature issues on the C7 Z06.
So we did a lot of custom manufacturing to relocate the coolers and tried to get as much as possible air to it. We put in additional sheet metal plates and made additional openings to direkt the air to the right cooler.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best pic I could take. Hard to tell what’s going on. The deeper it goes, the better the threads. It looks like to me the first 1/8” or so is a little rough.

View attachment 124021

In regards to the spark plug hole that was stubborn, I ran a thread chaser caked in grease down through it. Wiped the hole out and seemed to have taken care of the problem. Very few little metal fragments. I think the threads were just really nasty with rust, carbon, etc. Just thankful that the oem plug hadn’t jacked the threads up on removal. Bought the chaser at AutoZone. It was the OEM brand.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does S&B make a filter wrap for these filters? I’d like to have one to help filter fine dust and help shed water off if it comes in contact.

I bought the AEM warp on Amazon, much cheaper. I'll try to get you the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00353M0NY/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

But you lose power that you can feel so unless your going off roading you don't need it.

I bought a second S&B filter and the cleaning/recharge kit from S&B, I change the filter once it looks dirty.
This way you can take your time to clean, dry for a day and recharge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the AEM warp on Amazon, much cheaper. I'll try to get you the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00353M0NY/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

But you lose power that you can feel so unless your going off roading you don't need it.

I bought a second S&B filter and the cleaning/recharge kit from S&B, I change the filter once it looks dirty.
This way you can take your time to clean, dry for a day and recharge.

Thanks. Guess I don’t really need one then. Do you have any issues with water getting on your filter when driving in torrential rain?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the 5 1/2 years daily driving, never had an issue.

I saw a video on YouTube showing how that liner pushes back when plowing through a big ass puddle, had me a little worried, plenty of regular Raptors ingested water and blew up the engine.

So I actually did a little modding on that wheel well liner to keep it from folding back against the tire when plowing though puddles.
Seams to work pretty good.
It's a universal return spring that I punched though and bent over, the other is hooked on to what I could find.
This will let the wheel well liners flex but not bend back and allow a ton of water from gushing up to the filter.
I only used one spring but I'm not looking for puddles or off-roading.
IMG_20140818_135530_224.jpg

I was going to add some sort of foam padding to the space between the liner and the head lights but I thought about it some more and knew if I did that, it would prevent cold air from getting to the intake and suck more hot air from the engine bay.

And yes the filter gets wet but that's why I change the filter often, the oil does repel water and what little water mist may if any comes through will act like water injection. LOL

Winter and dusty roads are the biggest wear on the oil on the filter, so you have kind of use your best judgment on when to look and replace when needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks!

Drove truck more today and got into it a little. Honestly, I’m not that impressed with the power. I was expecting a lot more and better throttle response. Seems that you have to out your foot through the floor to see anything. The throttle response is very slow and stock-like. I’m hoping JDM will adjust this and make it better.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been emailing JDM back and forth and they’re going to adjust the shifting and throttle response. They said they make it pretty mild now after a lot of customers thought it was too much. Just waiting on them to get it revised.

Here’s a couple pics of my truck. Not a Raptor and not trying to make it one. No other forum offers the knowledge of the 6.2L like this one.

DAA2D5AC-D27B-4CF4-B90D-6BE1BB43F365.jpeg A86AB606-8B42-4511-BC33-93DA92CBF4E9.jpeg 38E5DE8F-9F5B-4AC3-8A08-324A601AA624.jpeg
AF8C9206-89F7-4CAC-ACB2-12EB7FE68A2F.jpeg

Landon T

Reaction score
Good to know thanks!

Drove truck more today and got into it a little. Honestly, I’m not that impressed with the power. I was expecting a lot more and better throttle response. Seems that you have to out your foot through the floor to see anything. The throttle response is very slow and stock-like. I’m hoping JDM will adjust this and make it better.

Interesting my roush stage 2 kit I felt the same way... JDM on the way next week and a bigger 65mm throttle body. !

My truck is also not a raptor. 2011 F-150 platinum trim bit like you I couldn’t find a better source for 6.2 knowledge ...