Whipple Gen 4 install w/ JDM 650HP upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks!

Drove truck more today and got into it a little. Honestly, I’m not that impressed with the power. r.

The truck is 6,000 ++ LBS. It isn't going to be fast but the Whipple will definitely help.
500RWHP / 6000LBs = 12LBs per HP if you are lucky. Big tires, A lot gear well self explanatory.

Nice looking truck by the way

My boat will be closer to 7000Lbs with all the added SHT. Whipple down the road for me too.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’ll be more in line with what I was expecting when JDM gets me the revised tune. It should have much better throttle response and hold each gear longer from 4-6th. But yes, it is a large, heavy truck with power-sucking tires/wheels.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JDM will get you dialed. It was a night and day difference on my Roush once they tuned it. Seems odd that your trans is hunting for gears, mine was the opposite, after the tune it was always in the right gear and held the gear longer.
How many miles do you have on it now? The trans does have to re-learn the torque curve and how you are driving it.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that many since it isn’t a daily driver. The stock-like throttle response made me not want to drive it much.

It’s been tuned ever since new. I’ve been use to quick- almost touchy throttle response and trans tuning that downshifts it like it’s a manual. They said they have the tune geared more towards folks who daily drive in town and such. I could see the setup I like/want being too much in traffic for some folks. I’m happy that they understand everyone is different and they are willing to adjust for preference.

I drive a lot of 2 lane country roads that range from 35-55mph. That’s why I like my trans to hold gears longer and not shift based on slight throttle change. If it does, it’s never happy with the gear it’s in. It’s always up and down.

Cajun Pickup

Reaction score
Hey KY I’m really interested to hear how this has gone for you? Could you please give us an update? Have you got a tune after doing some logging? Have they been able to get it where you like it?

I have a ‘13 FX4 with 6.2 that I am getting ready to pull the trigger on. I have really been watching and reading the guys at VMP Performance and I’m thinking of buying their kit.

Not that many since it isn’t a daily driver. The stock-like throttle response made me not want to drive it much.

It’s been tuned ever since new. I’ve been use to quick- almost touchy throttle response and trans tuning that downshifts it like it’s a manual. They said they have the tune geared more towards folks who daily drive in town and such. I could see the setup I like/want being too much in traffic for some folks. I’m happy that they understand everyone is different and they are willing to adjust for preference.

I drive a lot of 2 lane country roads that range from 35-55mph. That’s why I like my trans to hold gears longer and not shift based on slight throttle change. If it does, it’s never happy with the gear it’s in. It’s always up and down.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a revised tune from them last Monday evening. Since then, I have put somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 miles on it. Seems that they have fixed the issues. The trans is holding each gear a good bit longer between shifts, which makes it so much more fun to drive. Now, when in 5th, it will hold that gear up till 70mph+ if I keep a little pressure on the pedal. If I want it to upshift, all I have to do is left off for a second. About as close to driving a manual without actually putting it in manual mode. Let’s you have more control over what it does.

Mileage-wise, I never really checked it before very much. The mileage gauge in the dash has always shown to be correct with hand calculations. So far, I get just as good as I did before. Last tank I got 12.6. That’s interstate to curvy 2 lanes. My throttle response seems a little better, although I would be happier if a little touchier. Jim III said Sr. warned that if he took the adjustment a little farther, that it might be too much when it tight situations like parking lots. But, I can live with where it is now.

Shifting is great with this tune. Smooth, quick, and precise. No hard shift, even after first loading it and doing a KAM reset. I have ran others in the past that would make you think the driveshaft was going to fall out.

On a longer trip this past week, I was on a 4 lane parkway and just sat the cruise on 83mph. Truck did awesome. Mind you, this road was hilly. Not super steep grades, but long rolling and down terrain. Not once did it downshift. Usually my experience when using cruise control is that likes to downshift on grades instead of holding the gear. Not with this tune. Can’t wait to tow with it.

At some point during the trip I observed the boost gauge hit 11 psi for a second or two before slowing dropping down. Not sure if this is a safe psi or not. Luckily, I don’t hot rod my tuck on a daily basis so I don’t believe it will be an issue. It would regularly see 5-8 psi when passing, etc. Normal cruising around will see it right at 0 to maybe -5 Hg vacuum. Seems like everything is working as it should.

If you’re considering a kit, I think you would be happy with the Whipple and JDM’s tune. Getting my first tune from them didn’t take too long, but the problem was that they never tuned it for my tire size, gear ratio, etc. I think that’s why the shifting was off and throttle response was lazy. They said they didn’t have that info in their notes, however provided each detail to Nick over the phone. Guess it got misplaced. My issue with them was it took 3, almost 4 weeks to get the revised tune. I was given a day to expect it, then told that something came up and they were busy. Well, they already had my money, so why be in a rush, right? Anyway, they finally came through. Speed is not their strong suit, but maybe that’s a good thing in the long run. I do feel like they know how to tune these trucks. But then again, for what they charge for the tune, you better be getting something.

Landon T

Reaction score
I faced a similar situation with JDM. Bought the tune email option for 500$ (Cnd) but it wouldn't load onto the truck. Talked to Nick and was told there was no movement on the price and Jim Senior would have to build the tune from scratch as well as purchase a SCT x4 handheld as my SCT itsx wasn't ideal for JDM custom tune.

So I paid 1000$ for another custom tune and an X4, and they reassure me this time it will work... time will tell. Kind of frustrated the email tune took less than 24 hours to receive but the new custom tune I'm told 3-4 weeks as well.

Cajun Pickup

Reaction score
Thanks for the update!

People used to have the same complaint about VMPs response time but they’ve now added a couple of tuners onboard and really seem to be expanding their services, like thriving business.

Please keep us posted! I hope to get started pretty soon.

I got a revised tune from them last Monday evening. Since then, I have put somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 miles on it. Seems that they have fixed the issues. The trans is holding each gear a good bit longer between shifts, which makes it so much more fun to drive. Now, when in 5th, it will hold that gear up till 70mph+ if I keep a little pressure on the pedal. If I want it to upshift, all I have to do is left off for a second. About as close to driving a manual without actually putting it in manual mode. Let’s you have more control over what it does.

Mileage-wise, I never really checked it before very much. The mileage gauge in the dash has always shown to be correct with hand calculations. So far, I get just as good as I did before. Last tank I got 12.6. That’s interstate to curvy 2 lanes. My throttle response seems a little better, although I would be happier if a little touchier. Jim III said Sr. warned that if he took the adjustment a little farther, that it might be too much when it tight situations like parking lots. But, I can live with where it is now.

Shifting is great with this tune. Smooth, quick, and precise. No hard shift, even after first loading it and doing a KAM reset. I have ran others in the past that would make you think the driveshaft was going to fall out.

On a longer trip this past week, I was on a 4 lane parkway and just sat the cruise on 83mph. Truck did awesome. Mind you, this road was hilly. Not super steep grades, but long rolling and down terrain. Not once did it downshift. Usually my experience when using cruise control is that likes to downshift on grades instead of holding the gear. Not with this tune. Can’t wait to tow with it.

At some point during the trip I observed the boost gauge hit 11 psi for a second or two before slowing dropping down. Not sure if this is a safe psi or not. Luckily, I don’t hot rod my tuck on a daily basis so I don’t believe it will be an issue. It would regularly see 5-8 psi when passing, etc. Normal cruising around will see it right at 0 to maybe -5 Hg vacuum. Seems like everything is working as it should.

If you’re considering a kit, I think you would be happy with the Whipple and JDM’s tune. Getting my first tune from them didn’t take too long, but the problem was that they never tuned it for my tire size, gear ratio, etc. I think that’s why the shifting was off and throttle response was lazy. They said they didn’t have that info in their notes, however provided each detail to Nick over the phone. Guess it got misplaced. My issue with them was it took 3, almost 4 weeks to get the revised tune. I was given a day to expect it, then told that something came up and they were busy. Well, they already had my money, so why be in a rush, right? Anyway, they finally came through. Speed is not their strong suit, but maybe that’s a good thing in the long run. I do feel like they know how to tune these trucks. But then again, for what they charge for the tune, you better be getting something.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update!

People used to have the same complaint about VMPs response time but they’ve now added a couple of tuners onboard and really seem to be expanding their services, like thriving business.

Please keep us posted! I hope to get started pretty soon.

It might be nice dealing with a place that has multiple tuners. If something happened to Jim Sr, I don’t know what would happen to JDM. Looks like someone else there should learn the skill.