Whipple Gen 4 install w/ JDM 650HP upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landon T

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong the communication from Jim Jr and Nick is almost instant, but yes the time frame for services is a touch long winded. I am going off everything I have read and the referrals of people swearing by JDM and really hope the tune lives up to the hype. Perhaps Jim Jr should be brought in to learnt the business talents!

I will be honest, after dishing out the 500$ for a tune that wouldn't even load onto the truck was disheartening, and to stomach another 1000$ for a tune 3 weeks later and a SCT x4 frustrates me.

But I already purchased the Ford 65mm throttle body and want it to be more than a mantle piece...

Last edited:

Cajun Pickup

Reaction score
Well that’s my preference. I certainly don’t mean to down play anyone out there. But these guys specialize in Ford builds and performance mods, Justins wife I believe is a mechanical engineer who also races a mustangs, their facility looks like a huge south Florida business compound, they are now designing , engineering and having their own blowers manufatored. They also have install videos as well as PDFs. They are not only really good at what they do but they are also building a thriving business.

So while still have the chance to make choices I think that’s the direction I’ll go. I also like being as informed by others as I possibly can before I get started. I appreciate your responses.

It might be nice dealing with a place that has multiple tuners. If something happened to Jim Sr, I don’t know what would happen to JDM. Looks like someone else there should learn the skill.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be ticked off if they told me I wasted $500 for a tune they sold me that wouldn’t load. They should have taken care of you in that. They could have refunded at least 1/2 of the cost after you purchased another one. That’s poor customer service. Yes, they respond to emails quickly. I tried a couple times calling in to speak to Jr about my tune, after he told me to call him. Both times, I was unable to do so. Nick told me first time he was busy, but put me on hold numerous times while he asked him questions. Looks like it would have been just as easy for me to speak to him directly. Next time, a lady answered the phone. Told her I was calling for Jr and he had told me to call. She told me they were working on the tune currently and I would have it by the end of the day. Never would let me speak to him. I never understood the point of having me call if he was never going to talk to me. I guess I’m just lucky I got the tune eventually.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that’s my preference. I certainly don’t mean to down play anyone out there. But these guys specialize in Ford builds and performance mods, Justins wife I believe is a mechanical engineer who also races a mustangs, their facility looks like a huge south Florida business compound, they are now designing , engineering and having their own blowers manufatored. They also have install videos as well as PDFs. They are not only really good at what they do but they are also building a thriving business.

So while still have the chance to make choices I think that’s the direction I’ll go. I also like being as informed by others as I possibly can before I get started. I appreciate your responses.

I’m sure you can tell by my responses that I am far from a JDM fanboy. I took a chance on them and luckily it has all worked out so far. Slow, but working. I am not at all opposed to using another tuner, and may actually try someone else later on. Too much money already spent at this moment to spend more. Let us know how it goes with them.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would be ticked off if they told me I wasted $500 for a tune they sold me that wouldn’t load. They should have taken care of you in that. They could have refunded at least 1/2 of the cost after you purchased another one. That’s poor customer service. Yes, they respond to emails quickly. I tried a couple times calling in to speak to Jr about my tune, after he told me to call him. Both times, I was unable to do so. Nick told me first time he was busy, but put me on hold numerous times while he asked him questions. Looks like it would have been just as easy for me to speak to him directly. Next time, a lady answered the phone. Told her I was calling for Jr and he had told me to call. She told me they were working on the tune currently and I would have it by the end of the day. Never would let me speak to him. I never understood the point of having me call if he was never going to talk to me. I guess I’m just lucky I got the tune eventually.

Hey sorry I missed your calls, we do stay very busy and usually running around crazy during the day here! Let us know when you get a moment about the new tune. The best way to get ahold of us is always by phone, you can hold for me or leave a message to call back. Or email me direct at [email protected] I don't visit the forums enough to catch these threads sometimes.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong the communication from Jim Jr and Nick is almost instant, but yes the time frame for services is a touch long winded. I am going off everything I have read and the referrals of people swearing by JDM and really hope the tune lives up to the hype. Perhaps Jim Jr should be brought in to learnt the business talents!

I will be honest, after dishing out the 500$ for a tune that wouldn't even load onto the truck was disheartening, and to stomach another 1000$ for a tune 3 weeks later and a SCT x4 frustrates me.

But I already purchased the Ford 65mm throttle body and want it to be more than a mantle piece...

Hey Landon,

The problem was your device itself, we did all we could to help but this is the best we could come up with. The tuner is $695 and the original email file was $385 so I'm just not sure where the prices you are getting, it was not $1,500 that you spent with us it was just over $1,000 between the device and tune. Typical lead time is 2-3 weeks for us because we are so busy and our tunes are always in a high demand. We did ship it earlier this week so you should have it any day!

Keep us in touch!

JimIII

Landon T

Reaction score
Your right at USD I paid 385$ (500$ Canadian) + 695 USD ( 1000 Canadian) Plus an additional 120$ USD (160 Canadian) When the UPS package arrived at my door on Friday from brokerage fees. To you its less than 1500, but to me Im far over budget for what I was expecting to be a < 500$ Tune initially.

That being said... I have been driving the truck all weekend, put over 200 miles on it after I confirmed the tune and SCT x4 handheld worked on Friday night. I installed the Ford 65mm twin throttle body Saturday morning and it took to the tune no problem.

The truck starts a touch more aggressive, and the JDM program so far has proven worth. Mileage remains the same as the Roush program but its still early and learning as far as I can tell. It hasnt thrown an engine code, and proves very responsive. The testimonies Ive read to date prove well, it changes the truck driveability as it feels like a whole new pickup in ways of throttle response and shift firmness.

I was drawn to JDM for the sheer fact they state you need 1 program to do it all. No changing the tune to tow, daily street or race etc as others advertise and I wanted that. Also the addition of the 65mm throttle body and alter perhaps a 72mm pulley on the roush blower without having to adjust the program.
75 miles today in 90* heat and truck ran great also. About 200F on the transmission (95*C) and 212F on the engine (100*C)

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your right at USD I paid 385$ (500$ Canadian) + 695 USD ( 1000 Canadian) Plus an additional 120$ USD (160 Canadian) When the UPS package arrived at my door on Friday from brokerage fees. To you its less than 1500, but to me Im far over budget for what I was expecting to be a < 500$ Tune initially.

That being said... I have been driving the truck all weekend, put over 200 miles on it after I confirmed the tune and SCT x4 handheld worked on Friday night. I installed the Ford 65mm twin throttle body Saturday morning and it took to the tune no problem.

The truck starts a touch more aggressive, and the JDM program so far has proven worth. Mileage remains the same as the Roush program but its still early and learning as far as I can tell. It hasnt thrown an engine code, and proves very responsive. The testimonies Ive read to date prove well, it changes the truck driveability as it feels like a whole new pickup in ways of throttle response and shift firmness.

I was drawn to JDM for the sheer fact they state you need 1 program to do it all. No changing the tune to tow, daily street or race etc as others advertise and I wanted that. Also the addition of the 65mm throttle body and alter perhaps a 72mm pulley on the roush blower without having to adjust the program.
75 miles today in 90* heat and truck ran great also. About 200F on the transmission (95*C) and 212F on the engine (100*C)

Great to hear please let us know if there is anything else!

RaptorN/Abuild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have to gen 2. The gen 4 is something I’m looking into also and I like it doesn’t require you the change your tune or am I wrong?

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have to gen 2. The gen 4 is something I’m looking into also and I like it doesn’t require you the change your tune or am I wrong?

Shouldn’t require a tune, however it will make more boost than the Gen 2 did just by the updated design. Depending on what max psi you hit now, you may need to drop a pulley size.