Which tire? 35" Grabbers or 315 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't give Toyos or Nittos to my worst enemy. crapola tires.

Birdman,
Why are you so down on the Nittos? Did you ever own Nitto tires. I just sold My 05 f150 screw with trail grapplers on the stock wheels. I drove it every day on the street, in the snow to ski resorts and in the mud. They performed well all around. Much quieter then most other agressive tread designs. IMHO I thought they were a good compromise and they looked great. Lots of compliments...

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as desert running it's skill to avoid most rocks but when it's all rocks and your going fast it's pretty much luck to avoid the sharp ones. That's the reason you would carry 2 spares, tubes, and tire tools. You never know what would happen no matter how strong your sideswalls are.

The jagged rocks from trials carved into the sides of mountains by crazy miners with too much dynamite is just the start for my tires. My "desert" running consists of a sand wash further south. This areas hazards include, dead tree limbs, more broken glass than you thought was possibly ever made, left over natural gas/oil well site equipment/debris, drunk indians, abandoned cars (seriously), abandoned furniture and home appliances (tv's dishwashers, washing machines, dryers). This places is pretty much a dump for people who don't care. Unfortunately this is the closest thing to a "desert" I have and there's really no avoiding sharp objects.

I get the whole prepared thing, "you never know what would happen" is everyday life in general. But I don't see how being well prepared justifies using a lesser tire. I take wheels/tires on and off everyday, personally changing another tire in middle of BFE on my day off doesn't appeal to me. If I can prepare my truck by equipping it with tires that are better suited for off road why wouldn't I? I'd much rather use the tire that has the best chance that allows me to drive my truck, rather than visit my on board rolling tire store.

Bird, for your case I don't doubt the Duratracs will work out fine. I brought up the (imo) questionable sidewall because in BigJ's original post, he mentioned off roading. I figure its better to throw the warning out (based on physically wrapping my hands around the tires inside and out) so someone can investigate and conclude their own opinion before money is spent.

I also agree that a Duratrac will probably blow out just like a BFG would. But really I don't think that's saying much and why my BFG's are DD tires. From what I read, Ford reported the stock BFG tire (sidewall) failed more than anything other mechanical piece on the Raptor during the Anza Berrego loop testing. I doubt these were caused by violent impacts since the loop was ran over and over and over, any hazards would have been well known and avoided by the drivers.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've had 2 sets of Nitto Terragrapplers on different trucks. Both sets perform well for general all-around use. Quiet/good road manners, acceptable in fields/slick grass, and moderate non-gumbo mud.

My stock BFG's are louder @ 8k miles than the 20k mi Nittos. BFGs are also wearing noticeably faster. And they're horrible in anything other than dry dirt and hold on to any kind of rock they contact...until about 70mph, then they throw them.

I've read up everywhere I can and asked owners of the Duratracs how they like them. Overall, everyone seems to love them and says they're acceptably quiet.

The OEM BFGs have proved to be a typical BFG. They look promising but never live up to the hype.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Can't remember if it's been mentioned but The General Grabber AT2's are another tire I've personally had an outstanding experience with on one of my trucks.

I drive a lot of gravel roads and these things have lasted longer than anything yet. They are one tough tire.:waytogo:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Birdman,
Why are you so down on the Nittos? Did you ever own Nitto tires. I just sold My 05 f150 screw with trail grapplers on the stock wheels. I drove it every day on the street, in the snow to ski resorts and in the mud. They performed well all around. Much quieter then most other agressive tread designs. IMHO I thought they were a good compromise and they looked great. Lots of compliments...
I just expect more from tires than what Nittos offer. Sure you read a lot of reviews saying guys loved their Nittos and got 35000 miles out of them. I pay more attention to the fact that guys are happy with 35k. I want no less than 50k from a tire if I properly maintain them. Not to mention every time I hear loud tires and look up its either terra grapplers or trail grapplers.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I had 40,000 on my Trail Grapplers. Still have 30% tread on them. I could have prob pushed them another 10,000.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Just get Super Swamper Boggers. They may be loud, but hell - the tread is 1.25" deep! They'll last for years :roflbow:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I switched to Duratracs on my '99 2500 Dodge Ram from the old style MTRs. The Duratracs are MUCH quieter and far superior in the ice/snow. The old Ram doesn't see much off-road, so I can't speak to the performance there - but snow/ice was my main concern living in Denver and I've been extremely pleased. I like the look, and haven't had wear problems, though I've only had them a year and around 6K miles.

At this point, my Raptor will wear Duratracs after the stockers. :waytogo: