Which Synthetic would you use?

Which of these Full Synthetic Oils do you use?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tt-VKe8Oaw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This could be bs but it looks like a legitimate test if done honestly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I watched this and it looks to me like a promo for Royal Purple. To easy to make one brand look better than another. I thinks it's BS.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

So it really comes down to royal purple or amsoil in the synthetic oil And filter....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I used both, and I like the Amsoil. Even though they are both equally good.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Champ makes Royal Purple, K&N and Mobil1 oil filters.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Oh and Amsoil does not make their own filter, its made by Hastings who is owned by Baldwin, so why not buy a Baldwin/Hasting filter?

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Amsoil for my Raptor, my Isuzu NPR service truck and all my heavy equipment. I use Baldwin filters for my whole fleet.

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is easily accessible to purchase locally?? Royal Purple or Amsoil?? Mobil 1 however is everywhere. Also I might opt for synthetic element oil filter rather than conventional paper.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which is easily accessible to purchase locally?? Royal Purple or Amsoil?? Mobil 1 however is everywhere. Also I might opt for synthetic element oil filter rather than conventional paper.

Royal Purple is everywhere, Pep Boys, Oreilly Auto etc. You have to check Amsoil website, or order online.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Todays oil is fine for todays roller engines but a lot of the ingredients have been removed that used to protect engines from weare, if you have an old flat tappet engine or high performance built motor that is not roller camshaft use an additive with your synthetic oil like a break in lube or zinc additive.

This is true to a point. The number one additive that is lacking for flat tappet engines is Zinc. We can thank emissions testing requirements for this as well as the reduction of other additives such as sulfur in diesel fuel and lower TBN oils for diesels as well.

As for the "One Arm Bandit" testing, you have to be very careful what you believe. It is extremely easy to make the tests go your way. In the video comparing Amsoil and Royal Purple, notice how differently the guy adds the weights between the two, quickly dropping the weight on the tester for the Amsoil and slowly, carefully allowing adding weight to the Royal Purple, etc. Most oils, regardless of brand, have additives that perform better as they warm up. That being said, in the Amsoil video of the OAB, you can see that even shampoo will perform well if you allow it to warm up.

Why use and Amsoil filter over a Baldwin branded filter? Because when you order the Amsoil oil & filter through me, EVEN when ordering it instead of going to the local store, you save money on the best oil and filters on the market.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is true to a point. The number one additive that is lacking for flat tappet engines is Zinc. We can thank emissions testing requirements for this as well as the reduction of other additives such as sulfur in diesel fuel and lower TBN oils for diesels as well.

As for the "One Arm Bandit" testing, you have to be very careful what you believe. It is extremely easy to make the tests go your way. In the video comparing Amsoil and Royal Purple, notice how differently the guy adds the weights between the two, quickly dropping the weight on the tester for the Amsoil and slowly, carefully allowing adding weight to the Royal Purple, etc. Most oils, regardless of brand, have additives that perform better as they warm up. That being said, in the Amsoil video of the OAB, you can see that even shampoo will perform well if you allow it to warm up.

Why use and Amsoil filter over a Baldwin branded filter? Because when you order the Amsoil oil & filter through me, EVEN when ordering it instead of going to the local store, you save money on the best oil and filters on the market.

All I have ever heard about Royal Purple is it breaks down faster due to heat. Any oil company that touts "they are the best" with bogus kinds of experiments.....I tend to shy away from them. I know at one time RP used to advertise you got more horsepower with them..........total BS on their part. All synthetics are pretty much the same and if you analyze your oil after 3000 miles you will get a full picture of it's true performance.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All synthetics are pretty much the same...

This is not true, there are vast differences in the additive packages used in all synthetic oils. Proof of this can be found in the fact that some can hold up longer than others. I promote Amsoil, but I do so because of my personal experience using used oil analysis in extending service intervals. Amsoil has been offering a guaranteed 25K mile service/change interval since 1972 and has never had a claim that I know of. The simple fact that they have been able to do so is proof of the viability of their claims. Mobile tried it in the 70's but had to stop because their oil wasn't holding up. Mobile now offers their extended performance oil offering up to 15K mile intervals, but they are not the same. Not at all.

and if you analyze your oil after 3000 miles you will get a full picture of it's true performance.

This is actually the only REAL way of truly vetting the performance of an oil, especially if considering taking advantage of extended intervals. IT also serves to let you know how your oil filter is doing as well by letting you know what is actually floating around in the engine. I have heard MANY times, XXXX brand of oil and filter have worked "Fine" for me and never "Had problems"; but without utilizing used oil analysis, you can't possibly know if you had problems or not, you may have just been lucky enough to get rid of the truck before the problems got too bad. Kind of like the guy that says he can tell when an oil is bad just by looking at it or running it through his fingers, sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Just FYI for everyone, I also sell Royal Purple and ship it just like Amsoil, but forthe same reasons why I promote R1Concepts brake parts, while I will sell the customer anything they insist on, I actively promote the products I have the most experience with and that I believe in to be the best from personal experience. Not because of any kind of so called testing results provided by any particular company. It has commonly been referred to as "Hype", especially where Amsoil is concerned, but the biggest hype out there is when Mobile, Castrol, Valvoline and others make TV commercials about cab fleets, or running a charger on a dyno until it blows up (yeah, ok, right); that has more hype to it than anything I have ever seen come from Amsoil. Amsoil was the first and continues to be the industry leader in the development and advancement of the synthetic lubrication industry as a whole. All others are still just following the leader. But that is just my on personal humble opinion.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is not true, there are vast differences in the additive packages used in all synthetic oils. Proof of this can be found in the fact that some can hold up longer than others. I promote Amsoil, but I do so because of my personal experience using used oil analysis in extending service intervals. Amsoil has been offering a guaranteed 25K mile service/change interval since 1972 and has never had a claim that I know of. The simple fact that they have been able to do so is proof of the viability of their claims. Mobile tried it in the 70's but had to stop because their oil wasn't holding up. Mobile now offers their extended performance oil offering up to 15K mile intervals, but they are not the same. Not at all.

This is actually the only REAL way of truly vetting the performance of an oil, especially if considering taking advantage of extended intervals. IT also serves to let you know how your oil filter is doing as well by letting you know what is actually floating around in the engine. I have heard MANY times, XXXX brand of oil and filter have worked "Fine" for me and never "Had problems"; but without utilizing used oil analysis, you can't possibly know if you had problems or not, you may have just been lucky enough to get rid of the truck before the problems got too bad. Kind of like the guy that says he can tell when an oil is bad just by looking at it or running it through his fingers, sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Just FYI for everyone, I also sell Royal Purple and ship it just like Amsoil, but forthe same reasons why I promote R1Concepts brake parts, while I will sell the customer anything they insist on, I actively promote the products I have the most experience with and that I believe in to be the best from personal experience. Not because of any kind of so called testing results provided by any particular company. It has commonly been referred to as "Hype", especially where Amsoil is concerned, but the biggest hype out there is when Mobile, Castrol, Valvoline and others make TV commercials about cab fleets, or running a charger on a dyno until it blows up (yeah, ok, right); that has more hype to it than anything I have ever seen come from Amsoil. Amsoil was the first and continues to be the industry leader in the development and advancement of the synthetic lubrication industry as a whole. All others are still just following the leader. But that is just my on personal humble opinion.

Chris, I can honestly line up 50 folks who feel the same way about their products as you do. Most NASCAR technicians have a favorite and stories to back their particular choice and they will use nothing but that particular oil. I am sure you are a big fan of AMSOIL and it is a good product but I can tell you folks who swear it is nothing but junk. In the long run.....it all boils down to your preference and if your smart to analyze your oil what the results of that analysis are. I will say again..........unless someone can empherically prove to me a difference all synthetics are pretty much the same. This of course is my humble opinion and means about as much as two pounds of:poop:in a one pound bag.:love51:

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Chris,
PM sent. Need to place an order on some Amsoil.