Which 2 wires do i tap into?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm connecting my radar detector, which 2 wires do i tap into and why can't i use a regular 2 wire phone cord, it worked fine for 6 years on my corvette??? Never had a problem without the 2 amp inline fuse.

Attachments

• mirrorwires 1.jpg
    mirrorwires 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 74
  • mirrorwires2.jpg
    mirrorwires2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 80
  • mirrorwire3.jpg
    mirrorwire3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd use a test light to see which one is switched with the accessory. What plug is that you are showing a picture of? If its the one that goes into the back of the radio try the Red or Yellow wires. One is usually switched.

sidram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for nothing. If you don't know the answer please don't respond. I already read the thread you are reffering to and it says nothing about a harness with only six wires. It says to tap in the third pin, mine is empty?

Correct, I read that thread and my v1 still not working lol. Might be a good project today since the weather is crap.

If I get mine working will post.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as you are looking at the connector it is the bottom right for the power, which is a green wire.

and for the ground it's the 3rd pin hole from the right on the bottom which has a black wire.

use a very small flat blad screw driver to create a gap or you'll just break the pins, swear a bunch and wait 5 days to get a new connector.

I also found that if you can push the blade in it should get real snug about 3/4 way in, which works fine and shouldn't back itself out.

ninja edit: the problem in your pictures is that you are holding the connector upside down. turn it over, so the green wire is bottom right, then proceed.

sidram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed a v1 in a 2012 with lux package.

Pin 1 green wire with purple stripe - switched power, red wire goes here
Pin 3 empty
Pin 4 black wire - ground, minus, negative black wire goes here

Both wires are on the bottom row. As well if you look at the front of the plug there is a number in each corner to help you which pin is which.

That is what worked in my truck. Also I wound up soldering the wires bc those push in spades SUCK IMO

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
TRAPTOR

TRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm connecting my radar detector, which 2 wires do i tap into and why can't i use a regular 2 wire phone cord, it worked fine for 6 years on my corvette??? Never had a problem without the 2 amp inline fuse.

Thanks For your input. I figured it out. The first picture was the connector from the back of the rear view mirror. I didn't use that one. Instead I did this.

1) Pull the trim pc with the glasses case and the roof controls down. If you pull around the edges it just pops off.
2) Tap into the small white connector for the dome lights. It turns on and off when you start and stop the engine. There are three wires, If you do this use the center and right wires.
3) I used a regular phone wire and at the end attached a pc of #28 solid wire using an in line crimp connector.
4) Easily push the wires in the back of the harness.
5) Push the roof trim pc back in place.
6) After everything is connected and adjusted push any extra wire back into the roof compartment from the front of the roof line where the factory wires run.
Completed pictures are in my next post.

Last edited: